CornSnakes.com Forums  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLinks ads? Register and log in!

Go Back   CornSnakes.com Forums > The CornSnake Forums > Husbandry and Basic Care
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Notices

Husbandry and Basic Care General stuff about keeping and maintaining cornsnakes in captivity.

wots the worst piece of reptile advice you've ever been given??

Old 07-06-2006, 05:22 PM   #41
WRATHCHILD798
at petco the girl kept yelling because i said can i have 2 pinkies for my snake
she goes "ohh you shouldnt feed them that FROZEN mice can bite your snake"
i was like wtf!???she wanted me to get crickets

Old 07-06-2006, 05:30 PM   #42
Penman6668
Quote:
Originally Posted by skullmaster
this thread amuses me hehe.....
when i got my first snake the kid at superpet told me if i don't get a UV light my snake won't last even a year... plus they had my snow listed as snow motley... i didn't know for a few months that it was not a motley(i was still learning) oh and at that same store anerys are called "black cornsnake"
The pet store by me has the same label on their corns.

I was also told the UV light thing. They insisted that it would be dead because it could not build up calcuim.

Old 07-07-2006, 12:47 AM   #43
Melinda666
you only need to feed them once a month

Old 07-07-2006, 12:53 AM   #44
Ben7el
"Its an Albino"

Old 07-07-2006, 11:42 AM   #45
antsterr
The first corn I got was from a little smelly pet shop that gave me some good and some bad advice. Good advice.
Corn are great beginner snakes, you might want to try one before you get a boa or python.

bad advice.
Corns need UV, they can do with out it if you put a drop of vitamin supplement on the food you give them (game me name of some beta-something baby vitamin drops).
Corns grow to an average of 6 feet.
Astroturf is the best bedding.

Other bad advice or misconceptions that people have told me
The grow to the size of the cage
But they might eat your baby when full grown! (I don't even have a child)
You can feed them ground beef, it's just not as nutritious as a mouse

Here is some advice I'd like to know if it's true.
Can you feed cornsnakes eggs (of appropriate size)?
I've been told by more than one snake breeder that you can feed them quail eggs and full grown ones chicken eggs. I'd do that just to see it done if it's safe. and would they take the egg as is or would you have to scent it?

Old 07-07-2006, 11:48 AM   #46
WRATHCHILD798
ive seen snake take in the egg as is then spit out the shell eating just the yoke

Old 07-07-2006, 05:24 PM   #47
BeckyG
Worst advice I've ever gotten:

Corns need UV light--pretty common bad advice.

Corns need a playmate so they don't get bored.

Corns can't digest fur so they regurgitate it. This is normal, and no cause for worry.

Corns eat eggs then regurgitate/spit out the shells.

Old 07-07-2006, 06:45 PM   #48
Colleen360
Quote:
Originally Posted by WRATHCHILD798
ive seen snake take in the egg as is then spit out the shell eating just the yoke
I really hope that was the bad advice that he was given and he doesn't actually believe that. But going on the basis that he was trying to catch a corn snake with duct tape traps, I think he is serious.

Old 07-07-2006, 07:09 PM   #49
diamondlil
Quote:
Originally Posted by Colleen360
I really hope that was the bad advice that he was given and he doesn't actually believe that. But going on the basis that he was trying to catch a corn snake with duct tape traps, I think he is serious.
Unless he means egg-eating snakes?

Old 07-07-2006, 07:15 PM   #50
Colleen360
True, but I was thinking of it in regards to cornsnakes.

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! Cornsnakes.com is the largest online community dedicated to cornsnakes . Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!

Google