• Hello!

Either you have not registered on this site yet, or you are registered but have not logged in. In either case, you will not be able to use the full functionality of this site until you have registered, and then logged in after your registration has been approved.

Registration is FREE, so please register so you can participate instead of remaining a lurker....

Please be certain that the location field is correctly filled out when you register. All registrations that appear to be bogus will be rejected. Which means that if your location field does NOT match the actual location of your registration IP address, then your registration will be rejected.

Sorry about the strictness of this requirement, but it is necessary to block spammers and scammers at the door as much as possible.

Filling a hole of a plantpot

KvanAalten

So here's the thing. I have 4 plantpots as hides, 2 bigger ones and 2 smaller ones (see photos). One of my snakes went into the hole (which is on top on the photo) of one of the bigger pots and she fit. Though later that evening she tried to fit through the smaller one but she got stuck. I got her out but she hurt 1 scale.

2014_05_20_16_55_58.jpg

I was wondering if anyone has any tips to fill the hole, which 1. has to be safe for snakes and 2. looks a bit decent.

I took the smaller pots out for now but I was hoping to fill up the holes with something and put them back in.

You can get that color of tile grout at home depot block the hole on one side with a piece of tape fill the hole. The beauty of grout is you can clean and smooth the excess with a wet finger or sponge let it dry 24 to 48 hours then remove the tape the grout will be permanant. Grout is made to adhere to any tile or stone, and once dry will not bother the animals.
I love the look ove the clay pots.

Rose-

Thanks, I was thinking of clay as well but the tile grout is a good idea too! I really just bought them because they're very cheap hides lol. They have a big hide (an adult corn fits in) but I think they find it a bit too big, usually I find them in on of the pots or in one of the fake plants.

Honestly, I would not use those as hides. A while back, someone on here had a snake get its tongue stuck to the terra cotta and it got ripped off.

Honestly, I would not use those as hides. A while back, someone on here had a snake get its tongue stuck to the terra cotta and it got ripped off.

Wow really? I tried searching for it but can't find it.. Anyway I've used a big one of these for my Taiwan beauty as well and she never got hurt, I don't really get how it can get stuck... o_O

You know, I spent a little while searching for it and I can't find it either. It was a really old thread, if I recall. I'm not really sure how it got stuck, but I think it was because the tongue of a corn snake is only slightly damp that the dryness of the terra cotta caused it to get stuck when the snake flicked its tongue against it.

It's most likely a very rare occurrence, and I know a lot of people like the little pots, but I would rather not take that chance, so I don't use them.

You know, I spent a little while searching for it and I can't find it either. It was a really old thread, if I recall. I'm not really sure how it got stuck, but I think it was because the tongue of a corn snake is only slightly damp that the dryness of the terra cotta caused it to get stuck when the snake flicked its tongue against it.

It's most likely a very rare occurrence, and I know a lot of people like the little pots, but I would rather not take that chance, so I don't use them.

What do you suggest I could use which doesn't harm the snakes (which is also cheap) or perhaps I could use something to coat the pots with?

You could glaze the pots if you still want to use them, but I would be afraid with those sharp edges of the openings. My suggestion is going with something shorter. Corns like to feel secure in their hides, and like feeling something on their back and sides. You would have to replace them as they get bigger, but even cutting down a tall plastic yogurt container would be better than the tall hides.

Little cardboard boxes work perfectly. One of my favorite things to use is a Hershey's cocoa container, like this one:

hershey-baking-cocoa_lg.png

I cut a hole in the lid that's big enough for the snake to get in and out. I've also used similar type containers, like Gerber waffle wheels. My snakes seem to prefer these containers over store bought hides. They're nice, because they're easy to clean and super easy to get the snake out of - just open the lid and slide the snake out! And you can also keep making the hole bigger as the snake grows.

Those edges would make me a little hesitant. Terracotta is really good at staying dry, and little scales could get caught. But filing them down and sealing them could curb that.

Instant oatmeal containers could also be another option. They're pretty easy to size, and it gives them that closeness babies tend to like. It also gives you a bit of room to put a little moss in there if you need to.

I know the edges look sharp, but I've felt every single egde before I've put the pots in and I haven't got a single scratch (even put pressure on it) so it's not really that sharp.

Many of the things you've mentioned we don't have in the Netherlands and most of the yoghurt cups are just as big (high) as the pots I have.

So what do you suggest, something of plastic or cardboard? And how/with what should I put the holes in?

If you have a ceramic studio in your area, You can get some really beautiful pieces in greenware, which is the prefired clay and easily cut the exact hole size and shape, then a soft wet sponge will smooth it out you can then have it fired then glaze it and fire it again. You are only limited by your imagination.I was thinking of making all my hides that way. It would be much cheaper then store bought where you are limited to just whats there. Just think of the possibilities.

Maybe the container of Bolletje Beschuits laid on it's side with some aspen chips or moss would work? (Kind of grateful for this thread because they're so good and I had forgotten all about them.)

This is probably a stupid idea, but it's worth a try. They have baking bowls with pouring spouts. Sometimes they're deep enough that if you lay them on the side, you have a little opening. If they're small enough it might work. Like I said, it's stupid.

But also tissue boxes. Or shoe boxes. You can cut the opening in and the edges are never an issue because it isn't a sharp or hard edge. Hope this helps!

This is probably a stupid idea
, but it's worth a try. They have baking bowls with pouring spouts. Sometimes they're deep enough that if you lay them on the side, you have a little opening. If they're small enough it might work. Like I said, it's stupid.

Do NOT put yourself down! All suggestions are welcome, none are "stupid", they may not work for every situation or owner, but it adds another consideration to our arsenal of knowledge!

my snakes really seem to like the plastic coffee cans... I've put holes in both the lids, or the sides (high up or down low) And I agree with hypnoctopus about plastic containers being easy to clean/ sanitize.. I use a lighter flame to round off the edges of the holes when I cut them.. I've also cut a large animal crackers container in half
(http://scene7.samsclub.com/is/image/samsclub/0007232011690_A?$img_size_380x380$) top to bottom, and after some dark spray paint, I've got a large lovely 'cave' for them (the half circle of the mouth being the opening)
If you really wanted to get dress up a DIY hide, you might get another container like that with a more interesting shape, and then use aquarium sealer to glue rocks and other materials to the outside. (I'd scuff it up good with some sandpaper first to get a good surface to stick to)

Back