• Hello!

Either you have not registered on this site yet, or you are registered but have not logged in. In either case, you will not be able to use the full functionality of this site until you have registered, and then logged in after your registration has been approved.

Registration is FREE, so please register so you can participate instead of remaining a lurker....

Please be certain that the location field is correctly filled out when you register. All registrations that appear to be bogus will be rejected. Which means that if your location field does NOT match the actual location of your registration IP address, then your registration will be rejected.

Sorry about the strictness of this requirement, but it is necessary to block spammers and scammers at the door as much as possible.

What's the weight of your largest '05?

Mary-Beth

I just weighed my '05 and my jaw dropped.
He weighed 12 grams on March 30th, and now he weighs 197 grams! :bang:

So tell me,
what's the weight of your largest '05?

Holy cow! From what you posted, I'd say my anery female is about the same age. She weighed in tonight (empty, and freshly shed) at 135.6g.

I decided to weigh a nickle and make sure my scale isn't way off or something. It was 5g as it should be. Sharon weighed in at 196g this time though. lol

Attachments

• 100_0284.JPG
    100_0284.JPG
    51.8 KB · Views: 321
  • 100_0285.JPG
    100_0285.JPG
    82.1 KB · Views: 326
I must have the puny bunch here :(. I know at least one of my 03s doesn't weigh that much! And I bet some of my late 05s haven't even broken the 20gm mark yet. I need to get them on a work out program :grin01:

Crikey, that's bigger than some of my 04's and sadly a couple of my 03's.

I dare not weigh my 05's for fear I'm mistreating them by not feeding them enough. I mean, there are only one set of "every 5 days in a week". :rolleyes:

I have 2 siblings, hatched 6/25. On July 26th they weighed 9.8 and 11.3 grams. On 12/31, they weighed 41.6 and 42.7 grams respectively.

They've been growing at about the same rate shedding within a few days of each other at a shed rate of every 30-40 days.

Holy crap, that is about the size of my 04.... MY only 05 just had his first fuzzie. i know that it sounds bad but he was not born untill 8-1

I have to try hard and to think, but my biggest one I have from last year made it to 68g's.. All I can is WOW..

Regards.. T and J

My biggest '05 is a May baby and he weighs in at 50g. All of his siblings are right behind him between 35-40g or so. I have one '04 that is only in the 70g range. My bigest '04s (very early '04 too) are right around 240g. That seems like a lot of weight gain but I have one yearling that last year weighed 12g at the end of Feb and by the beginning of Dec weighed 149g (and yes she was a late 2004 baby). Just seems like a lot I guess :shrugs:

~Katie

No fair at all calling a March hatchling an '05 . . . I mean c'mon really?! :)

My largest '05, hatched June 23rd, is 61 grams and is just about ready to start on hoppers. The next two closest were clutch-mates at 56 grams.

My range with '05's (late June through mid August hatches) is mid 30's to mid 40's.

My largest '04 (I only have 5 left) right now is my male Hypo at 271 grams and is sitting in brumation right now. He hatched 8/16/04.

D80

Wow....those are some impressive weights!

Okay....now the parallel question that should go along with these weights is the feeding regime. i.e. 1 pink, 2 pinks, fuzzies etc every 3 days, 5 days, week etc....
It would be interesting to see if one method works better over another. For example, what is better: 2 meals once a week or one meal twice a week?

I don't have any weights at hand but after I get back from this weekend's Columbia, SC show I am inspired to weigh in....

Cheers!

Yep Jeff, I should have included that question in my original post.

My guy is getting two hoppers every ten days right now.
He was getting his hoppers every seven days during the summer, but he started being a lot less active when the weather cooled so I adjusted his feedings. The change doesn't seem to have slowed his growth rate though, just the opposite! He weighed 116g on October 11th.

Thought I'd add that my '03 weighs 130g - but she has gained 43g since September when I bought her (she was really skinny). My '04 weighs 55g and I've had her for about eight months. The '03 gets a large rat fuzzy and the '04 gets a very small rat fuzzy - every seven days.

I cut all my rodents.

:cheers:

hmmm

I didn't know it was a race...

I've read it's better to grow them slowly than stuff them all the time to grow them quickly.

Walt

Mary-Beth, do you prefer rats to mice? I'm just about to move up the babies & am getting all techincal about grams vs length & what not.

Do people have prefrences for rats to mice?

Preita said:
Mary-Beth, do you prefer rats to mice? I'm just about to move up the babies & am getting all techincal about grams vs length & what not.

Do people have prefrences for rats to mice?

I don't have a preference, but I read that rats will help them grow faster. That's why the skinny '03 and the somewhat slow growing '04 get rats.
My monster normal and adult hypo get mice because they cost less. :)

wpglaeser said:
I didn't know it was a race...

I've read it's better to grow them slowly than stuff them all the time to grow them quickly.

Walt

It's not a race. I was pretty sure that my normal was freakishly large for his age, and I wanted other peoples thoughts on it. And I don't think anyone who has posted here thus far "stuffs them all the time to grow them quickly". I have stated that this guy is getting two hoppers every ten days. I can hardly tell he has eaten after he scarfs down those hoppers. I'd buy him some small mice, but I don't think they'd be the right size for him for long - and like I said the other ones get rats so all the left over small mice would be waisted.

Oh please, we know you & Dean stuff your snakes! lol

Some of them are just monsters, and it's cool to see their progress! From worm to fattie lol

Preita said:
Oh please, we know you & Dean stuff your snakes! lol

Actually, I do stuff them when they are on pinkies, and I do so unapologetically. When they are on single pinks, I feed every third day. When they are on double pinks, I feed every fourth day. When they move up to fuzzies and beyond, I feed every sixth day. When they exceed 250g, or so, I move it out to every seventh day. Joe Pierce has some interesting things to say about feeding in his "XXXL Corns" thread in his "Snakes Alive" forum. I agree with him 100%, even though I probably feed a bit more conservatively than he does. I hear about people giving their hatchlings a newborn pink once a week, and I think, "how the heck are those snakes ever going to grow?" For those who haven't seen Joe's thread, check it out.

You know I read that and I thought that thread was so intresting. I just moved up to double pinks & it seems that my piggers is digesting it just as fast. Never skips a night of his "exersize". So I was thinking on moving him from double pinks from 7 days to 5. After the first day the lump was down toward the tail & the second day was a poo. he's a digesting machine.

Do your snakes take the food with out a problem even in such a short time span?

Back