CornSnakes.com Forums  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLinks ads? Register and log in!

Go Back   CornSnakes.com Forums > The CornSnake Forums > Husbandry and Basic Care
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

Husbandry and Basic Care General stuff about keeping and maintaining cornsnakes in captivity.

Vision cages..Are they worth investing?

Old 07-22-2002, 12:40 PM   #1
Cujo
Vision cages..Are they worth investing?

Okay I've been shopping around the net..I've run info quite a few reptile supplies that also sell Vision cages..I've looked at them and them seem pretty nice..My question is are they worth getting? I have a 30 gal tank right now (and no snake to put in it yet ..Is there any benefits for these? Actually what are the pros and cons is probably better. I'm just curious as I have my eyes on a few corns..and the cages seem pretty solid (not interested in the stacked housing yet..Anyone that has a Vision cage..are you happy with them? Thanks

Cujo

Old 07-24-2002, 12:26 PM   #2
CornLess
I don't own any, but I've seen some. They're decent cages, the stacking's a plus. The 28x24x12 sized model is around 100 bucks (105 msrp, 95 at LLL) and would be big enough for a corn. You might also check out the Neodesha 3' cage, which base price is 85 something, which includes shipping. This is a bit larger and the door design is more escape proof for any sized snake (I've heard of smallish snakes squeezing out of a vision, between the sliding doors, but that can be solved easily with a piece of felt or something in the crack). Bush is going out of business as of Sept. 1st, though, and the 3' cages seem to be selling pretty fast. The door on that cage is a single piece of glass set in two tracks, so it can be a bit of a pain to open, but you shouldn't have to open it all the way most of the time. The Neodesha doesn't stack. Either cage should be decent.

Other plastic cage companies I've heard decent things about are Barrs, Precision Caging, and Boaphile Plastics.

One thing that's good about plastic: It's WAY lighter than a glass tank.

*note: I do own 3 neodesha cages, two of the 2' models and one of the 3'. All are decent. All have minor flaws in aligning the holes that go through the glass to the lip on each side of the cage, which is where screws go to secure the door. They still get the job done, though, and they're cheap for their size.

Old 07-25-2002, 01:51 AM   #3
pinatamonkey
I think they are a little expensive if you only have a few snakes and aren't interested in stacking...I like having more viewing area also. The advantages to these cages are they can be stacked, have front access, no top ventilation=better at keeping in humidity, and they are lighter. Also, they are a lot larger than what's needed. The model 221 has 616 sq in of floor space, and a 20gal Long tank has 375 sq in. If you have the money to spend on the cages, and you like them, then go ahead. But appropriate-sized cages do sell for less than $30 if you don't.

Old 08-08-2002, 05:12 PM   #4
SPJ
Visons are nice but pricey. They also present a problem with small snakes. The snake can get out between the gaps of the sliding doors. They look like cargo boxes to me and I really didn't care for them.

Boaphiles are good cages but I don't have them personally. I have seen them in use and they look nice.

Never tried precision cages or seen them up close.

I have a BARR's cage for my rough green. Very nice cage for the price BUT heat pads will cause problems. If you heat the bottom, use heat tape and a thermostat.

IMO, the absolute best cages are the Neodeshas. Nothing will get out of them and they are not too expensive. The part that adds the most money is the rack. You don't need it though. The slant front makes an excellent display and you rest it on the floor.

Glass tanks. Forget it. Too hard to control heat and humidity.

IMO, you can't go wrong with a neo but that's only because I am partial to them. Tried the others and went back to the neos.

If you want to get one, you need to hurry. They will no longer be available after September 1st.

Old 08-08-2002, 06:50 PM   #5
LadyChaos
Had Visions, didn't like them. Cleaning them is a pain because of the ridges in the floor that help anchor them in a stack. Plus any smaller snake can escape with the greatest of ease. I'm going to be getting a couple of Precision cages for my leos to see how those work. I have Boaphile racks and *love* the shoe and sweaterbox racks. The sideways blanket box is ok, the shelves seem to sag a bit but not too bad. I might be getting one of Habitat System's racks next.

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! Cornsnakes.com is the largest online community dedicated to cornsnakes . Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!

Google