CornSnakes.com Forums  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLinks ads? Register and log in!

Go Back   CornSnakes.com Forums > The CornSnake Forums > Husbandry and Basic Care
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

Husbandry and Basic Care General stuff about keeping and maintaining cornsnakes in captivity.

heating pad .....is it good

Old 07-25-2002, 10:27 AM   #1
Abuyoussef
heating pad .....is it good

hey i would like to know.......in the pet shop from where i buy all my sankes they have this kind of automatic heater for 200$ and a heating pad for like 30$ ....... wityh the 200$ id rather buy a new corn .... so ...is the heating pad good..can u adjust the temperature as u want...or how is ti exactly is it good....or u thhink i should buy the automatic coller and heater thing....plus i want to start breeding in a coupel of years,,,,,,, thanx

Old 07-25-2002, 10:37 AM   #2
CornsnakeKeeper
They usually raise the temperature 10 degrees higher than room temp. which is good. I have had success with the heat pads-- What brand is it? Most of mine are Zoo-Med, I do believe.

Old 07-25-2002, 11:59 AM   #3
Missymonkey
I agree that they are good, however they can get hot, I have a repti-therm which said that it will only raise the temp ten degrees, WRONG! wrongarooski, it got very hot over 100 degrees, so I ended up buying a dimmer so that I could control the temp alittle better. Of course you may not even need one if it stays warm in the room you have your snakes, many people do that. If you get the cheaper one, just be prepared to buy a rheostat or thermostat or somesort of dimmer so that you can control it better.

I agree with the 200 bucks though, I would hate to spend it on equipement instead of more corns...

(anybody else having a long day today? I'm at work and can't stop looking at the clock AH!)

Old 07-25-2002, 02:02 PM   #4
Abuyoussef
Smile the band name is four paws

yeah but the temp. im my room is good i dont need like 10 more degree's it will be 90 ...but can u control the 10 degree's or it just raises it 1o degree's .......

Old 07-26-2002, 11:31 PM   #5
CornLess
I use Sunbeam human heat pads for my gex and snakes. They have three settings. Lowest setting is in the mid to high 80's, and can be adjusted by putting a towel between the pad and the tank. Cheaper, don't need dimmers or thermostats.

Old 07-27-2002, 12:49 AM   #6
SilverTongue
If your room temp is about 80 during the day and I guess no less then 70 at night you really dont need a heating source. You can put the tank in the lights path of your window, but not die\rectly in the window to avoid burning. But if it does catch natural light it sould get all of the colors and vitamens it needs. If it can not be put in the path of natural light, then try atleast a couple times a week to take it outside. Just make sure when you feed them that they have a warm spot (not less then 80 is good) to rest and digest. I dont know how cold your winters are where you live, but if your room temp goes below 70 during the day then I recomend a subsatute heater. But if you dont need much heat just get a nighttime heat lamp about 16 watts should do it. I keep my apartment at 70 at all times and my snakes live in a glass aqaarium so that is hard to keep heated as is, but the lil light keeps the temp between 70-80. After I feed my snakes I turn on a basking light during the day. That will bring it to about 87

Old 07-27-2002, 01:20 PM   #7
Iris
Remember, though, that glass blocks any vitamins and things in sunlight.

Old 08-08-2002, 05:23 PM   #8
SPJ
Use flex watt heat tape and a dimmer switch from the hardware store. This would be about $15 for everything and you can control the amount of heat with the dimmer.

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! Cornsnakes.com is the largest online community dedicated to cornsnakes . Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!

Google