CornSnakes.com Forums  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLinks ads? Register and log in!

Go Back   CornSnakes.com Forums > The CornSnake Forums > Husbandry and Basic Care
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

Husbandry and Basic Care General stuff about keeping and maintaining cornsnakes in captivity.

first snake and frist shed now what?

Old 08-02-2002, 09:54 AM   #1
wheeler78
first snake and frist shed now what?

ok i woke up today and i found the old skin of my snake the only problem is now i don't know what to do with it. should i keep it or what? this also explains alot about why she has been so jumpy lately and why she has been hideing so much. also it came of in 2 peices a head part and a tail part is that normal or what like i said this is my first snake and i want to keep it very healthy and for it to have a long life. (sry bout spelling)

Old 08-02-2002, 10:49 AM   #2
Jimmy C.
Hi,
I dont think you need to keep it.There will be another one in about a month.
What you need to do is check it to make sure that the eye caps came off and that it shed all the way to the tip of the tail.
Eye caps? Check the shed skin by the head where the eyes were you should see what looks like contact lens. Those are the eye caps. If the tip of the tail has not shed,wet the tail for a minute or so and then very GENTLEY use your fingers and pull the tail through your fingers a few times.This should get it off. VERY GENTLEY.
I hope that this helps,
Jimmy C.

Old 08-02-2002, 01:09 PM   #3
Rachel
Although you dont have to keep the shed I kept some of the ones from my first snake. Its amazing to see how much she has grown. So if you want to keep the skin for memorabilia then go ahead! It is quite cool to see that your snake was once only several inches long!!

Old 08-02-2002, 07:17 PM   #4
kenalotia
Ideally, the shed should come off in one piece. It's not unusual for it to come off in two pieces, though. I would just suggest that you try increasing the humidity a little bit when shedding time next comes. Or you could give your snake a couple of baths while she's preparing to shed. For a hatchling, just put some lukewarm (NOT hot!) water in a tupperware dish or that sort of thing. As a warning though, snakes like to poop when they're in the water. (This can be a good thing, though; you don't have to clean poop out of the cage if they go in the bath.)

Old 08-02-2002, 07:27 PM   #5
Iris
Just a tip about "bathwater" for corns..
If the water feels warm to your touch, it's too hot for the snake. I didn't really think about this before and I'd just plop the snake in and wonder why he wouldn't stay and swim around. Then I decided, "hey, let's see what the temp of the water is!" and dropped my fish's aquarium thermometer into the sink. It was in the 90s! Oops! So, now if the water feels cool to my touch (but not ice cold!), I put the snake in. I don't actually measure the temp every time b/c it would be a hassle to get the temp perfectly in the mid-high 70's.

Old 08-03-2002, 10:50 AM   #6
wheeler78
thanks that really helps i'll give her a bath next time she is shedding i thought that she might be shedding but i ask my bro(he works in a pet store) and he said he didn't think she was but cause of her red eyes it was harder to tell if she was.

Old 08-03-2002, 02:23 PM   #7
bmm
eyes

A cornsnakes eyes go blue or whitish a few days before a shed, then go clear for a day or two then they shed.

bmm

Old 08-04-2002, 12:43 PM   #8
little twiglet
i kept twigs first shed and measured it and jotted it down in my record book so i can keep track of how big he is getting so u can keep it for that reason or if u wanna be soppy keep the first and last skin that u get from ur snake and keep it as a memory

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! Cornsnakes.com is the largest online community dedicated to cornsnakes . Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!

Google