CornSnakes.com Forums  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLinks ads? Register and log in!

Go Back   CornSnakes.com Forums > The CornSnake Forums > Husbandry and Basic Care
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

Husbandry and Basic Care General stuff about keeping and maintaining cornsnakes in captivity.

Cooling off the cage

Old 08-05-2002, 10:54 AM   #1
Kilojara16
Cooling off the cage

I've been monitioring the temps. in my cage and what is supposed to be the cool side almost gets to 80 degrees F and the warm side is 10 degrees warmer. Can I cool it down with a fan close by? Should I unplug the heat pad (it's already on low)? Any help is appreciated.

Old 08-05-2002, 11:33 AM   #2
Iris
You can get a thermostat or a dimmer (I think that's what they're called) to control the temp of the heat pad. I personally just put a towel b/t the heat pad and the tank bottom and it makes the hot side a perfect 84ºF, but some people say that it's not a good idea to put things like towels or clothes b/c they can catch fire.

Old 08-05-2002, 11:49 AM   #3
little twiglet
a couple of layers of paper towel or an old dish cloth over the heat mat works a treat i only have the heat mat half under my tank and if it gets to hpot in the cool end i just pull it further out of a while but varying the temps are good for the snakes anyway so dont worry to much how cool the cool end is

Old 08-05-2002, 12:33 PM   #4
Missymonkey
sizzlin snakes

A layer of styrofoam may be alittle safer between the tank and mat,... or clay tiles (hardware stores normaly have them cheap), I had the same problem, and put a dimmer on the cord (the dimmer is the kind you buy for lights) and it doesn't work to well,... a fan probably won't work, you could try it though and tell us what happens, just be careful they don't get to much of a breeze because you don't want them catching a cold...

Old 08-05-2002, 01:13 PM   #5
Kilojara16
Thanks for the suggestions. I'll see what I can do. The temperature in the cage depends on what the house thermostat reads. When it reads 75, the temps. are perfect. But it sometimes its turned up, so I'll find myself trying to cool the cage down. A thermostat for the cage sounds like it would make it easier, but don't those cost like $100?

Old 08-05-2002, 01:50 PM   #6
kenalotia
Hemostats do just about the same thing, and only cost a fraction of what a thermostat costs. They're a bit lower tech, though.

Old 08-07-2002, 12:44 PM   #7
Kilojara16
Exclamation

Okay, I cooled down the warm side to 86 and at night and morning, the temperature is in the cool side is 75-76. But during the afternoon, room temperature is 78-80 (the cool side is always room temperature) My dad says that I can't turn down the thermostat 'cause the air conditioner gets expensive. He tells me turn on the fan, but that doesn't cool the tank. Is there anything I can do? Will the hatchling be uncomfortable in these conditions? Advice is greatly appreciated.
(Here I am getting so worked up and I don't even have the corn yet. Must be First Corn Syndrome)

Old 08-07-2002, 09:14 PM   #8
Iris
Hm...well, if it gets too hot, I suppose you could unplug the heat pad.

During the summer, I keep my snakes upstairs in my room where the temperature ranges from the 80's during the day and in the 70's at night. I don't use a separate heat source or anything and apparently this is ok for them b/c none have ever regurged a meal.

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! Cornsnakes.com is the largest online community dedicated to cornsnakes . Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!

Google