CornSnakes.com Forums  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLinks ads? Register and log in!

Go Back   CornSnakes.com Forums > The CornSnake Forums > Health Issues/Feeding Problems
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

Health Issues/Feeding Problems Anything related to general or specific health problems. Issues having to do with feeding problems or tips.

Bump and several cuts

Old 11-18-2020, 08:55 PM   #11
iridescentfire
Update: I proceeded with betadine soaks and neosporin, the cuts got better and worse and better and worse. Never quite healing. He stopped eating, and visibly lost weight. He had his first ever bad shed, then another while I was waiting for my vet appointment at a new vet who was booked for almost a month out.
New vet still says the cuts aren't scale rot and seem to be healed, though scarred. Nothing in his tank could cause it since I have removed everything and even replaced his water bowl with a smooth bowl. He only had paper towel bedding and still got them.
Vet has said the scales and bad shed are not problematic, but he has a heart murmur and a tumor in his abdomen. I'm waiting for a quote, so I'm not sure what the cost will be. I will try heart meds (I need to give orally) and we will have an ultrasound and biopsy. I'm not sure about moving forward with surgery on the tumor.

Has anyone gone through with surgery for a tumor and/or put their snake on heart meds?

Old 11-18-2020, 08:57 PM   #12
iridescentfire
I should note that the vet stated the tumor location is likely why he's not eating.

Old 11-18-2020, 10:12 PM   #13
hypnoctopus
Is the tumor related to the little bump he had? Can you feel the tumor from the outside?

So sorry to hear he (and you!) are going through all this.

Old 11-19-2020, 12:38 AM   #14
iridescentfire
Thanks @hynoctopus, no the bump was on his tail before, this tumor is in his abdomen. I didn't try feeling it because I didn't want to distress him after being at the vet already, but the vet did say she could feel it when examining him.

I also forgot that there is fluid around his heart. The vet is recommending:
1) Bloodwork (of course)
2) Ultrasound + needle aspirate from mass
3) cytology from mass
4) fecal exam
5) heart meds to take home (pills)
6) draining the fluid around his heart
7) Option to biopsy his weird cuts, the vet thinks they are healing, but I don't think they are since it has been months and they don't look improved anymore.

Grand total: $1617.35

Old 11-19-2020, 01:26 AM   #15
hypnoctopus
Honestly, at 14 years old, I don't know how well he would even tolerate all of that vet work. If he was my snake, I would probably just leave him be, treat him like normal, and when it becomes apparent that he's really not doing well (usually indicated by consistent feeding refusal or regurges), I would euthanize him, sorry to say.

Old 12-18-2020, 12:59 AM   #16
iridescentfire
Maize passed on Tuesday. He was supposed to go to the vet on Wednesday to get his ultrasound and to teach me how to give him heart medication. I didn't expect him not to make it to his appointment, so I was quite shocked to find he had passed in the morning. The vet did a necropsy and found that most of his organs were enlarged, his heart 3x the size it should be. She also found white crystal-like spots in most of his body. She said there was nothing we could have done, even if we had done the ultrasound and heart meds.

He was about 14.5 years old and I had him for 14 of those years. Here is a picture from when he first came to live with me vs how big he got.

Old 12-18-2020, 08:39 AM   #17
hypnoctopus
I'm so sorry to hear that. He was beautiful and obviously had a wonderful life with you.

Old 12-18-2020, 09:43 PM   #18
SnakeCreations
So very sorry for your loss. You certainly gave this sweet snake a loving home.

-Tonya

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! Cornsnakes.com is the largest online community dedicated to cornsnakes . Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!

Google

Tags
bumps, cuts, discolored scales