• Hello!

Either you have not registered on this site yet, or you are registered but have not logged in. In either case, you will not be able to use the full functionality of this site until you have registered, and then logged in after your registration has been approved.

Registration is FREE, so please register so you can participate instead of remaining a lurker....

Please be certain that the location field is correctly filled out when you register. All registrations that appear to be bogus will be rejected. Which means that if your location field does NOT match the actual location of your registration IP address, then your registration will be rejected.

Sorry about the strictness of this requirement, but it is necessary to block spammers and scammers at the door as much as possible.

A really nice Black Rat Snake

SkyChimp

I found this guy today in an area being developed. His only way out would led him through more development and across major roads. So I put him in my lunch cooler and brought him home. He's obviosly had a long, rough life. He was pretty scarred. He was having some shedding issues and looks to have retained his right eye-cap. The cap was clouded and there was a yellow spot on it. Otherwise, he appears to have been very healthy, was brute strong, and had good muscle tone. He was intially very aggressive and was able to sink a couple of teeth in me 3 times. He did calm down and I was able to handle him quite easily. I cleaned him up a bit and treated his head and eye-cap with bacitracin (that's all I knew to do). I took him to the Yorktown National Historical Park and let him go. I've seen exactly 47.5 gazillion Black Rats there so I know there is food. There area I let him go is rather damp and he'll likely have to get wet to get to the fields. I was hoping this would help his shed issue. Here's some pics of this old fellow:

Attachments

• rat1.jpg
    rat1.jpg
    86.7 KB · Views: 111
  • rat2.jpg
    rat2.jpg
    73 KB · Views: 109
  • rat3.jpg
    rat3.jpg
    79.2 KB · Views: 109
  • rat4.jpg
    rat4.jpg
    50.3 KB · Views: 109
  • rat5.jpg
    rat5.jpg
    44.8 KB · Views: 109
More photos with new home in background. He found a log he seemed to like.

Attachments

• rat6.jpg
    rat6.jpg
    69.1 KB · Views: 109
  • rat7.jpg
    rat7.jpg
    50.8 KB · Views: 106
  • rat8.jpg
    rat8.jpg
    114.4 KB · Views: 108
  • rat9.jpg
    rat9.jpg
    192.5 KB · Views: 109
  • rat10.jpg
    rat10.jpg
    176.8 KB · Views: 108
BTW, I could see the snake's eye-ball and pupil under that clouded eye-cap. The yellow spot appeared to be on the surface, not underneath.

He was P'd Off. LOL, when I got home, I called my sons out to see him. I rolled the lid on the cooler back, and he was in that position inside the cooler. I stepped back and so did my kids. He simply arose out of the cooler in that position. The funny part was how slowly he did it. He just kept rising and rising and rising. I guess you had to be there. :rolleyes:

NICE Shots. I love the first and second ones. That shot with his tail in it shows a nice jet, black, black rat! Nice find.

I love these beautiful natural snakes people are finding. It really shows thier natural colors. Great shots and great find!

Awesome find SkyChimp!! Looks like that ole boy has had one heck of a life. Great pics and I agree with everyone else that "cobra" pose he's giving you in the first one is my favorite. I love snakes that have attitude at first...they have more character and make the catch more fun. Keep up the good herpin looks like you're gonna have one heck of a productive year so far :cheers:

Nice find. Awesome wild caught specimen. He does seem like a tough guy as beat up as he is. Looks like hes had quite a hard time of it. Nevertheless he looks great. :cheers:
Jay :cool:

Nice...

Awesome find and great save, that's my absolute #1 favorite snake! He looks like a huge fella., What did you estimate his length to be, My guess is around 6' at least..

That's a sweet first pic..........I would have had my doubts of picking him up if I saw that. He's frickin' huge!! Don't really see many black rats or corns up this way in Northern VA, but it's not to say they aren't here. Mostly eastern kings, garters, ribbons, brown water, and some black racers. Nice find.

Back