CornSnakes.com Forums  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLinks ads? Register and log in!

Go Back   CornSnakes.com Forums > The CornSnake Forums > Photography Techniques and Equipment
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

Photography Techniques and Equipment This forum is for the discussion of technical details of how to take good pictures as well as discuss the equipment used in that pursuit.

Photobucket Sucks

Old 07-14-2017, 09:53 AM   #1
zorro
Photobucket Sucks

It looks like Photobucket has decided to take my photos off of the forums until I start paying $40/ month, well that's not going to happen. Anyone use any other web hosting sites that they like?
Thanks
John

Old 07-14-2017, 12:03 PM   #2
DollysMom
A lot of us are using Imgur. I've been using it. Of course no guarantee that they would not do that to me some day as well. So sorry that happened to you.

Old 07-14-2017, 12:11 PM   #3
zorro
Quote:
Originally Posted by DollysMom View Post
A lot of us are using Imgur. I've been using it. Of course no guarantee that they would not do that to me some day as well. So sorry that happened to you.
Thank you, I will give it a try.
John

Old 07-14-2017, 03:28 PM   #4
Rich Z
If past history is any guide, you can likely expect any photo hosting site to eventually follow suit with dropping the *free* aspect of external linking to photos hosted with them. After all, they are paying all the bandwidth charges associated with the hosting, and their perspective is likely that with such a function, viewers of those images aren't even coming to their site to hopefully get snagged by an advertiser or two, which is what would be paying all of their bills.

MANY sites exist solely on the income coming from such things as Google ads, and as a result, are able to offer *free* services just to get the traffic needed for those ads to reach enough eyes. Of course, in a lot of cases, that just won't be enough to keep the bills paid, so they have to decide to either fold up shop, or try to earn revenue from the site in another manner.

Old 07-14-2017, 05:19 PM   #5
DollysMom
I appreciate that Rich, but $40 a month is pretty steep when it has been free unless you are using an awful lot of bandwidh. My gosh, my web host only costs around $8 a month including email and a .com domain. Not that I'm on Photobucket or have looked at their price structure.

Edited: unlimited outside linking costs $9.99 a month. I just looked it up. The $40 plan includes support and your own URL.

Old 07-14-2017, 06:53 PM   #6
zorro
Quote:
Originally Posted by DollysMom View Post
I appreciate that Rich, but $40 a month is pretty steep when it has been free unless you are using an awful lot of bandwidh. My gosh, my web host only costs around $8 a month including email and a .com domain. Not that I'm on Photobucket or have looked at their price structure.

Edited: unlimited outside linking costs $9.99 a month. I just looked it up. The $40 plan includes support and your own URL.
I thought it said "Only the Plus 500 plan supports 3rd Party Hosting" and that is the one that is $39.00/month. Am I reading this wrong?
The ads are so bad anyway but I went to that site you recommended and it seems to work just fine, thank you.
John

Old 07-14-2017, 07:28 PM   #7
DollysMom
Okay. I misunderstood. I thought this was 3rd party linking. If it is 3rd party hosting it is indeed totally outrageous at 39 a month. Glad imgur is working for you.

Old 07-15-2017, 12:13 AM   #8
Rich Z
Yeah, I know. There are a lot of things associated with the internet that I sorely wish were for free, too, but such just is not the case. You just have to pick and choose wisely of the many options to spend your money on what seems best to you.

BTW, in case some of you didn't know it, I have a photo gallery section over on FaunaClassifieds -> http://www.faunaclassifieds.com/photopost/

As best I can recall, all images posted there can be linked to external websites. And until I run out of disk space, I don't foresee ever having to put up a toll booth for it. Heck, I don't even think the program I am using has that sort of option.

Old 07-15-2017, 11:55 AM   #9
DollysMom
Thanks Rich.

As I side note I appreciate the very modest voluntary contribution you ask for here. I personally take pride in being able to support this site. I stopped using the gallery here because it became clear I was going to easily blow through the limit (I can't remember what the limit is, but at least in the past, there was one.)

Now that I've done some further research on Photobucket, it was both the way it was done and the huge amount of the charge that folks objected to. I have no problem paying fair amounts for things I use. I understand that for some the only price they will pay is free but there are a great number like me who will pay a reasonable fee. Whether in this case it is $5 or $10 a month I don't know, but it is in that ballpark. The people who liken this to ransomware are correct given the lack of warning and the huge amount needed to unlock the content. This content can't even be moved at this point. It is pay up or lose it if you didn't keep local back-ups (I always have local back-ups).

Old 07-27-2017, 11:08 AM   #10
NinnJinn
That is one thing that really ticked me off DollysMom!! you upload photos to photo bucket, then you have to PAY to get your pictures back!

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! Cornsnakes.com is the largest online community dedicated to cornsnakes . Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!

Google