CornSnakes.com Forums  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLinks ads? Register and log in!

Go Back   CornSnakes.com Forums > The CornSnake Forums > Breeding/Egg Production & Care
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

Breeding/Egg Production & Care Any topics concerning breeding of the cornsnake, brumation, egg laying, or issues concerning problems in any step along the way.

Pos Pied Sided Confusion

Old 07-21-2019, 08:44 PM   #1
Murmuration
Pos Pied Sided Confusion

Okay, so I've got a question about breeding cornsnakes. I've searched this forum, and I haven't seen anything else mentioning this specific issue I've encountered. (For a disclaimer, I'm not currently breeding. These are theoretical situations that are part of a far in the future breeding plans. I'm just trying to plan everything out because I like to be as prepared as possible.)

So, my question is: What in the world does "Pos Pied Sided" mean?

I've been using the Morph Market Genetics Calculator to check my genetics, and it gave me "Pos Pied Sided" in some of my pairings. The pairings are:

Fire Stripe x Bloodred Stripe Pied Sided =
100% Normal Diffused Stripe (Het. Amelanistic) (Pos. Pied Sided)

and

Normal Diffused Stripe (Het. Amelanistic) Pied Sided x Fire Stripe =
50% Fire Stripe (Pos. Pied Sided)
50% Normal Diffused Stripe (Het. Amelanistic) (Pos. Pied Sided)

I know this is a super simple question, I just can't seem to find any information on the answer. So, what does "Pos Pied Sided" mean. At this point I'm assuming that it means the babies may just 'possibly' have pied sided expression, depending on other factors. Is this correct? Or is it something else entirely that I'm missing?

Old 07-22-2019, 12:34 AM   #2
Dennis Gulla
At this point I'm assuming that it means the babies may just 'possibly' have pied sided expression, depending on other factors. Is this correct? Or is it something else entirely that I'm missing?[/quote]

Exactly, possible for a gene is exactly that. Most breeders will list the % of the possibility. 66% possible het or 50% possible het.

Old 07-22-2019, 07:04 PM   #3
blacktip
Not all snakes with two copies of the pied sided gene show any pied expression, and those that do show varying degrees of pied expression. I believe that is why it says pos(sibly) pied sided.

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! Cornsnakes.com is the largest online community dedicated to cornsnakes . Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!

Google