CornSnakes.com Forums  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLinks ads? Register and log in!

Go Back   CornSnakes.com Forums > The CornSnake Forums > Behavior
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

Behavior General topics or questions concerning the way your cornsnake may be acting.

Snakes don't like music?!

Old 05-19-2017, 08:50 AM   #1
JRLongton
Snakes don't like music?!

Maybe it's just Cirice, my corn, but she seems to really dislike loud music. I have her terrarium in my room where I like to hide from the family, work on my projects, drink, and listen to loud heavy metal.

We left Cirice alone for the first week to let her adjust, she was probably living in a tub and now has this huge spacious terrarium to explore, but recently I've been reverting to the typical rhythms of life. So the other night, I put on my metal playlist, Disturbed comes on, and Cirice flips out! She went from completely still to racing around her terrarium in the drop of a dime!

I understand that snakes keenly feel vibrations and that metal probably unleashes a cacophony of vibrations through the ground, but I was surprised at the reaction. People have used snakes in loud stage shows for centuries. Alice Cooper used to use a BC in his metal shows, and who can forget Britney Spears's sultry performance with the Albino Burm? Now I've aged myself.

Have others found the same thing? Do other genres of music elicit different responses. Are there snakes that like metal as opposed to rap? Vice versa? How about classical?

I would experiment with Cirice, but I want her to feel safe and not be stressed.

Should I buy a pair of expensive Bluetooth headphones, or is this something that she could get used to?

Old 05-19-2017, 03:20 PM   #2
DollysMom
The more the research, the more we understand how well snakes can hear. They have no middle or outer ear but they do have inner ears and bone structure in their heads that transmit actual sound. If you can get your hands on a book called "How Snakes Work" by Lillywhite, there is a good explanation of how snakes hear.

I've never seen this because I don't play metal or any other loud music around my snakes. I've always been careful about it. Normal household sound doesn't seem to be a problem. I think she is telling you something and if she were mine I would go the headphone route, but that's just one opinion so I hope you get more input.

Hopefully others who have played different kinds of music around their snake can give you more complete answers. It's something I've never done at anything except low volume-- no louder than normal conversation. Best wishes.

Old 05-19-2017, 05:35 PM   #3
Karl_Mcknight
I play bass guitar in a band. I've been playing music for well over 35 years. I'm always rehearsing and playing in my spare time. I play along with practice tapes, Cd's, Computer mp3's and a variety of other music. I always crank it up rather loud.

None of my snakes have ever acted like it affected them in any manner. In fact on some occasions I have actually had Rufus (My Corn Snake) wrapped around my neck while I am playing one of my guitars along with the stereo. He didn't mind at all. If he did, he surely didn't show it.

Old 05-19-2017, 08:38 PM   #4
Zombiegirl
In the house I'm currently in, I have 6 of my 8 in my computer room...but I have a fancy set of gaming headphones that I use to listen to my heavy metal/whatever music at the time even before I got the headphones, I don't think the speakers I have are quite enough to cause them any grief...I never noticed them out and annoyed by it o.0

Old 05-19-2017, 08:58 PM   #5
JRLongton
All very interesting. Maybe I misinterpreted something. One thing I've learned for sure, is that snakekeeping is a practice.

Old 05-19-2017, 09:08 PM   #6
Amanda47
If someone started playing metal around me, I'd probably react negatively too.

But they do hear pretty well. I startled/distracted one of my snakes when I cleared my throat while it was eating.