CornSnakes.com Forums  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLinks ads? Register and log in!

Go Back   CornSnakes.com Forums > The CornSnake Forums > Natural History/Field Observation
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

Natural History/Field Observation Field observations of corn snakes, field collecting, or just general topics about the natural environment they are found in.

Cornsnakes gone wild!

Old 05-06-2016, 04:11 PM   #1
Zeina
Cool Cornsnakes gone wild!

I am so proud I have to share this story!

My mom and my brother are NOT snake people, which is not surprising as we all know it takes a special type of person to love snakes like we do =)

However, I had my mom holding my boys when they were itty babies, juveniles and into their adulthood, trying to get her to at least appreciate their beauty and that what they do in nature is vital and important. She is still squeamish around them but she has a better understanding and respect for them, which I admire about her. She always tries to understand things she doesn't understand lol

So a couple months ago her home burned down, and the shed in the back made it. They are demolishing the old home today and putting in her new one in a couple weeks, but she had to clean out the shed first.
So my brother and her are working hard and moving everything out of the shed- and my brother lifts up a tub lid and there are two big ol' wild corns hanging out underneath it. Scared the hell out of my brother, who ran out of the shed, grabbed a shovel and went to kill them- MOM TO THE RESCUE!

My mother was like NO NO!! Don't hurt them, let me see them! She said that they had "Seamus heads" LOL! and told my brother they were corn snakes, non-venomous, and to let them go in the woods across the street.
I could have cried I was so happy. I HATE when people fear-kill snakes because they aren't educated on them, it feels like they are killing my snakes and it cuts deep. My mom knew I would never forgive them if they killed those absolutely STUNNING wild corns- I mean this picture she sent isn't great, but the pattern and color on those guys is just gorgeous.

So, lesson here is that a little bit of education goes a VERY long way!
( I know some of you guys probably have seen this on the Facebook Cornsnake page, but I wanted to share on here as well in hopes that this finds its way to educating others <3 )

Old 05-06-2016, 04:38 PM   #2
Tavia
Saw this over on FB. So great!

Old 05-06-2016, 05:31 PM   #3
DollysMom
That's a great happy Mother's Day story. I zoomed in and that snake is beautiful. So glad mom saved them!

Old 05-06-2016, 05:36 PM   #4
Karl_Mcknight
Great story. Some friends of mine and I go out every summer to see who can catch the most wild corn snakes in one day. I used to catch them as a kid and make pets of them. Funny thing is, even most wild corn snakes are very friendly. I've only been bitten a few times over the years.

Old 05-06-2016, 06:15 PM   #5
8Rebecca8
that snake is truely beautiful! so happy it was saved and i am so happy by a little education can go such a long way :-D

Old 05-06-2016, 09:04 PM   #6
albertagirl
Your mom is my hero.

Old 05-07-2016, 05:06 PM   #7
CornySnakeUser
Quote:
Originally Posted by albertagirl View Post
Your mom is my hero.
That's not how your mom jokes work, if I understand them correctly...

Old 05-07-2016, 05:53 PM   #8
axis1
Extremely cool and moving message!

Reading this gave me a warm & fuzzy feeling inside!

Thanx for that!!

Monty from Brooklyn

Old 05-08-2016, 09:50 AM   #9
Nanci
Wonderful!!!

Old 05-08-2016, 10:12 AM   #10
jagodzinski
That's a great story! You have an awesome mom!

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! Cornsnakes.com is the largest online community dedicated to cornsnakes . Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!

Google