CornSnakes.com Forums  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLinks ads? Register and log in!

Go Back   CornSnakes.com Forums > The CornSnake Forums > General Chit-Chat Forum
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Notices

General Chit-Chat Forum Discussion about general topics that are really off topic concerning corn snakes, or just about any old chit at all.

Fukushima... and you thought that just went away?

Old 02-10-2017, 02:51 PM   #1
Rich Z
Fukushima... and you thought that just went away?

Looks like the wraps are beginning to come off of the Fukushima cover up. Those of you living on the west coast of the USA might want to tune in on it.

Here is a pretty interesting documentary about the disaster unfolding, but it's obviously old, and the end is more upbeat than appears to be reality.

Old 02-10-2017, 04:50 PM   #2
snakewispera snr
It's bad. Why main stream news isn't covering this disaster is anyone's guess. Well in the UK they are not mentioning it, so I'm guessing they haven't in the states.
It's criminal.

Hi Rich, long time no post. How's retirement, how's the car, and how's Barrett. Still plunking?

Old 02-10-2017, 05:52 PM   #3
Rich Z
Quote:
Originally Posted by snakewispera snr View Post
It's bad. Why main stream news isn't covering this disaster is anyone's guess. Well in the UK they are not mentioning it, so I'm guessing they haven't in the states.
It's criminal.

Hi Rich, long time no post. How's retirement, how's the car, and how's Barrett. Still plunking?
Simply put, you can't trust what the mainstream media tells us, and you can't trust that what they don't cover isn't very serious. So I'm having a lot of trouble figuring out what good they are?

Retirement is good. Some people predicted I would get bored and regret retiring. Hasn't happened yet.

Blue vette is running great. Still have an intermittent drive train noise, but until something actually breaks, I'm going to just put up with it. I'm just not sure what is causing it, and pulling out the drivetrain on a vette is a major operation. So I don't want to do a hunt and peck method of trying to fix the problem. When something just breaks and falls off of the the car, then I'll know for certain.

Haven't shot any guns for quite a while. Except for the .17HMR Remington to pop varmint squirrels. Truth be known, there is a real good chance that I might not shoot either of my Barretts again. Matter of fact, one of them I have never fired at all to even sight in the scope.

I had three at one time, but sold the one in the back in the below pic. The one I haven't fired yet is the bolt action one in the front.

Old 02-10-2017, 06:18 PM   #4
snakewispera snr
I love you Rich. You're nuts.. Lol. That's from a British perspective BTW. We don't do Barrett..
You're right about the news being tailored to suit our reality TV mentality.
Manipulation by one or two major companies.

Old 02-10-2017, 07:38 PM   #5
Nanci
I feel like I've been hearing about it. How radiation contaminated fish are showing up on the west coast, now.

Old 02-10-2017, 09:03 PM   #6
Rich Z
I actually stopped eating Alaskan king crab right after I heard about the radioactive water going into the Pacific Ocean. Haven't had any since then, and it looks doubtful that I ever will again, now.

Old 02-12-2017, 03:06 PM   #7
Rich Z
This video is pretty interesting as it shows what screw ups can take place during an emergency when failsafe and backup systems are actually untested, and the personnel charged with their operation are completely inexperienced with the extremely complicated designs involved.

Old 02-13-2017, 06:02 AM   #8
Nanci
So- there's no way to make it stop, right? Will it ever run out of energy??

Old 02-13-2017, 12:16 PM   #9
Rich Z
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nanci View Post
So- there's no way to make it stop, right? Will it ever run out of energy??
I guess it depends on what the half-live of the radioactive material used in the fuel rods is. You really can't "put it out" once the fuel rods have melted together. I don't think that at this point, anyone can even get close enough to the molten core to do ANYTHING. Matter of fact, my guess is that people are worried about the melted mixture reaching critical mass and a nuclear detonation occurs as a result. That is how nuclear weapons work. Bringing together enough radioactive material such that a runaway chain reaction occurs, releasing enormous amounts of energy in a burst.

As for the melted mass going "China Syndrome", I guess it depends on whether or not there is something under the molten mass of melted fuel rods that it cannot melt through. Molten lava seems to be pretty hard to stop. Is the molten nuclear core as hot or hotter than that? I would be worried about the molten core punching a hole down through to the magma laying forming a pipe for a volcanic eruption. Just think about the possible repercussions of that for a moment.

Beats me, but sure seems like this is a VERY serious situation. Now the genie is out of the bottle, and no one seems to know what to do about it.

Old 02-14-2017, 08:09 PM   #10
Rich Z
Some interesting nuggets of thought in this one...

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! Cornsnakes.com is the largest online community dedicated to cornsnakes . Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!

Google