CornSnakes.com Forums  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLinks ads? Register and log in!

Go Back   CornSnakes.com Forums > The CornSnake Forums > Husbandry and Basic Care
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

Husbandry and Basic Care General stuff about keeping and maintaining cornsnakes in captivity.

Morph contributing to Eating habits

Old 10-18-2007, 12:04 PM   #1
Twizzy
Question Morph contributing to Eating habits

Okay I wasn't really sure how to word this in my header but I've been curious for some time if others find that certain morphs eat better then others?!?

The reason I ask this is because I have a variety of morphs and I find some are just ferocious and others are just tempermental and you need to do a hand stand to get them to eat at times.

Example:
I find my Snows have several..so it cant be just one snake both will eat if they are blue or not and will eat whenever.

Bloodred,Amel,Anery,Caramel,Ambers will eat always unless blue.

Lavenders & Butters are ferocious when they eat but man I have to light the candles set the table and put the violins on to get them to eat..LOL

Just curious if anyone else has noticed in a large collection if certain morphs are shy eaters too??

Old 10-18-2007, 12:23 PM   #2
Blue Apple Herps
I know that when bloodreds first popped up they had a bad wrap for being problem feeders. But other than that I don't know of any morph linked eating habits. At least I've never noticed any in my collection, which is just about every color mutation (except cinder). I think it's more to do with the individual snake that its color.

Old 10-18-2007, 12:23 PM   #3
mele2511
I am not an expert in this but through my own experience i have noticed that snow corns are more aggressive.

As far as i am aware i think this has alot to do with they dont have as much camoflage so it makes them a little bit more scared of the surrounding because they cant blend in.

Old 10-18-2007, 12:27 PM   #4
Kokopelli
I really don't think there's a way to link the two.
I think it has a deal more to do with the ferociousness of the parents and their level of aggressiveness.
Also, from what I understand, hatchlings that were incubated in too warm a temperature often display feeding disorders.
It's too difficult to examine such things I think... not unless an experiment on a huge scale is made.

I think it would be best to simply treat them as individual cornsnakes with different behavior patterns than defining behavior by morph.

An interesting theory though

Old 10-18-2007, 12:30 PM   #5
Twizzy
Good point mele..I hadnt thought of it that way..I'm just always shocked when I feed my snows they will munch it down and then I find a shed the next day

The only thing I have foudn with my bloodred is she can be a tad skiddish when you first pick her up and I have heard this from others with theirs..But she is an eater

I was just curious since with most of my morphs i have two of them and find they are all pretty similar with eating habits it was just really a curiosity question more then anything.

Anxious to see what others report

Old 10-18-2007, 12:47 PM   #6
RavenSpirit360
I had a problem with my snows this year, all three where the only ones left that wouldnt eat. One has started eating and moved on to another home but the other two still wont eat.

Old 10-18-2007, 12:56 PM   #7
mike17l
Quote:
Originally Posted by mele2511
I am not an expert in this but through my own experience i have noticed that snow corns are more aggressive.

As far as i am aware i think this has alot to do with they dont have as much camoflage so it makes them a little bit more scared of the surrounding because they cant blend in.

Snakes have no idea what they look like, no matter the morph. All tey know is that they are a snake.

Old 10-18-2007, 01:06 PM   #8
Kokopelli
Have to agree on that. Heck, humans wouldn't be aware of how they look like if it hadn't been for mirrors and such.
It -is- possible that The Anery and Amel genes carry other non-visible mutations that can cause aggressiveness. It's simply nearly impossible to link the two without an experiment that should be stretched out over several snake generations.

Old 10-18-2007, 01:12 PM   #9
Twizzy
Great responses ..thanks!!

Old 10-18-2007, 01:31 PM   #10
CornNoobie
I dont know about this, but my snow has just eaten 2 pinkies when fully in blue!

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! Cornsnakes.com is the largest online community dedicated to cornsnakes . Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!

Google