• Hello!

Either you have not registered on this site yet, or you are registered but have not logged in. In either case, you will not be able to use the full functionality of this site until you have registered, and then logged in after your registration has been approved.

Registration is FREE, so please register so you can participate instead of remaining a lurker....

Please be certain that the location field is correctly filled out when you register. All registrations that appear to be bogus will be rejected. Which means that if your location field does NOT match the actual location of your registration IP address, then your registration will be rejected.

Sorry about the strictness of this requirement, but it is necessary to block spammers and scammers at the door as much as possible.

Progression thread: Normal Cape African house snake

Don't get me wrong, I love the corns but AHS hatchlings are by far my favorite to handle baby snakes of any of the colubrids we breed. There have been a few here and there that won't settle in the hand but the bulk of them grip tightly and are content to do the finger weave for a long time straight out of the egg. Even when startled, they grip the hand with their back half and "jump" away from whatever scared them, without attempting to go flying out of your hands.
They are freaking fast placed on the ground though. Don't like to be in the open when not in a hand.

What Tavia said.

I love when he holds on with his back end, stretches out, and kisses my nose with his tongue. He does this when I move my hand near my face, so when we have visitors, we perform our trick and they instantly love him.

He's always been a sweetie in the hand at home. He was more squirmy at ReptileFest and I could only hold him out for 5 to 10 minutes before I could see him stressing. So I put him back in his hide in his tank and had the kids play "find the house snake."

I hope this is a better answer, but if not, please try again. We'll get there!

Back