• Hello!

Either you have not registered on this site yet, or you are registered but have not logged in. In either case, you will not be able to use the full functionality of this site until you have registered, and then logged in after your registration has been approved.

Registration is FREE, so please register so you can participate instead of remaining a lurker....

Please be certain that the location field is correctly filled out when you register. All registrations that appear to be bogus will be rejected. Which means that if your location field does NOT match the actual location of your registration IP address, then your registration will be rejected.

Sorry about the strictness of this requirement, but it is necessary to block spammers and scammers at the door as much as possible.

Shedding issues

kayjaypah

I have a question. I don't know if you can see in the pictures, but Arrie is has only shed half way down his body. That was over a week ago. Don't snakes usually shed their skin all at once? At what point should I be concerned?
ee484df1114b9346937ec02a3041cb02.jpg
410d1d634aa149e837930cd874cb77d2.jpg
4ab034e5d79c9b78106389f0d89433a7.jpg

Don't be concerned that he is hanging. I had a hold of him with my other hand lol.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

You can put a humid hide in the enclosure to help with the rest of the shed. Make a humid hide by using a deli cup with lid, or cleaned out butter container with lid, etc and put damp sphagnum moss or damp paper towel in it. Also, make sure your snake has clean water at all times, and a big enough water bowl to soak in.

Edit to add: cut a hole big enough for the snake to get in and out.

Last edited:
You can put a humid hide in the enclosure to help with the rest of the shed. Make a humid hide by using a deli cup with lid, or cleaned out butter container with lid, etc and put damp sphagnum moss or damp paper towel in it. Also, make sure your snake has clean water at all times, and a big enough water bowl to soak in.

Sound great, so I put the container with a wet paper towel in the tank but it's closed. Do I have that right ? Say a clean butter dish with wet paper towels and holes in the lid. Is this to produce moisture in the viv?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

No cut a hole in it so the snake can get inside of it

You can also put the snake in a plastic shoe box with a few wet paper towels for about 5 minutes to get the shed off I have found that this works well and after you take it out let it crawl through your hands or a damp wash cloth to get the rest off
And make sure that the tip of the tail comes off if it does not try again
A stuck shed on the tip will cut off the circulation and it will fall off

I meant to add most problems with shedding are due to lack of humidity in the tank or viv!! The humid hide is probably the best way to go but make sure you change the damp moss out like once a week or so or it can mold

So I took a glad container poked a bunch of holes in the top and put in a few moist paper towels like Scrappyeddie77 said. I took him out every 5-10 minutes. Eventually all of his old skin came off even at the tip of his tail! Thanks for all your help everyone!
45d559fa2ad49c5c242e8673c909736a.jpg

Sound great, so I put the container with a wet paper towel in the tank but it's closed. Do I have that right ? Say a clean butter dish with wet paper towels and holes in the lid. Is this to produce moisture in the viv?

Sorry, I forgot to add the part about cutting a hole for the snake. I fixed it.

Shedding issues are often due to dehydration, so you want to make sure they have clean water at all times, and a water bowl big enough for them to soak in. You can do two, one smaller to keep clean water in, and a bigger one for them to soak in.

So I took a glad container poked a bunch of holes in the top and put in a few moist paper towels like Scrappyeddie77 said. I took him out every 5-10 minutes. Eventually all of his old skin came off even at the tip of his tail! Thanks for all your help everyone!

That works too! 1i'm glad it worked for you!

I was told it was an albino. I asked if it were albino wouldn't it be white? They said no not for corns. So what is n Amel? And why do they call them morphs?

Albino is absence of color. These are referred to as albino, or red albino (no black).
Anery are sometimes referred to as black albino.

Amel is short for amelanistic. In basic terms, morph is a variant of the Cornsnakes. Different genetics that make up the colors are called morphs.
Hopefully that makes sense.

Albino is absence of color. These are referred to as albino, or red albino (no black).

Anery are sometimes referred to as black albino.

Amel is short for amelanistic. In basic terms, morph is a variant of the Cornsnakes. Different genetics that make up the colors are called morphs.

Hopefully that makes sense.

Ok, yes that makes sense, but wouldn't that explanation make Arrie an albino?

As already stated, "Albino" means Absence of color. Your snake has color. "Amel" (short for amelanistic) is the term used for your snake's coloring (morph).

I'll never forget when I got my first corn (an Amel) the freaking pet store told me she was an albino because she has red eyes!!!! I get a good laugh out of it now though

I have never seen a clear snake albino is a loose term
Albino is just a defect which use to be used as lacking of black pigments or "melanin" albino still has colors

al·bi·no
alˈbīˌnō/Submit
noun
a person or animal having a congenital absence of pigment in the skin and hair (which are white) and the eyes (which are typically pink).

key - "absence of pigment"

pig·ment
noun
ˈpiɡmənt/Submit
the natural coloring matter of animal or plant tissue.

Ok slick if you want to go with google try finding a definition that doesn't talk about hair and snakes I have never seen a snake with hair lol if any albino has a pattern that pattern will show up too
And if you want to talk about a person being albino guess what they get freckles too
And I am sure that some where there is an all white snake with pink eyes maybe a leucistic albino would be
Just saying

Back