• Hello!

Either you have not registered on this site yet, or you are registered but have not logged in. In either case, you will not be able to use the full functionality of this site until you have registered, and then logged in after your registration has been approved.

Registration is FREE, so please register so you can participate instead of remaining a lurker....

Please be certain that the location field is correctly filled out when you register. All registrations that appear to be bogus will be rejected. Which means that if your location field does NOT match the actual location of your registration IP address, then your registration will be rejected.

Sorry about the strictness of this requirement, but it is necessary to block spammers and scammers at the door as much as possible.

Camera Flash harmful to snake's eyes?

FWIW

Vivitar 2700 flash from the late 70's
UVB - 000 mW/cm²
UVA - 001 mW/cm²

Canon 20D onboard flash, Canon XT onboard flash, Nikon P&S onboard flash, Sony P&S onboard flash
UVB - 000 mW/cm²
UVA - 000 mW/cm²

Every flash tested was done at full power at manual modes. Solarmeter 5.0 UV Meter was used to check for UVA and UVB.

The UVA output is negligible. You get more UVA exposure sitting next to a window on a partly cloudy day... Actually, because of the brevity of a camera flash, UVA exposure from an OLD flash is more akin to spending only 1/2500th of a second outdoors on a sunny day.

I've taken pictures with flash of my snake since I got her as a hatchling over a year ago. At first it startled her a bit, but she quickly got used to it. Now I can get some crazy macro shots of her head while she is eating (with the lens only about 2 inches from her face) and she doesn't miss a beat.

Flashes do put out some UV. But so long as you don't do it all day every day it shouldn't be a problem if you ask me.

That pic is amazing! I was playing with the macro on my camera and have the problem that if I get that close, the subject is in the shadow created by the lens. Any advice on that??

That pic is amazing! I was playing with the macro on my camera and have the problem that if I get that close, the subject is in the shadow created by the lens. Any advice on that??

I'm pretty sure in that pic I have my 580ex speedlite pointed up so that the flash bounces off the ceiling.

I have taken pictures of my corn and downloaded them in my computer. Now can anyone tell me how I go about posting them?

I was thinking the same thing when taking picture of my new corn yesterday. She didn't even seem to mind it at all and wasn't startled.

Good to hear is isn't going to blind the poor creatures :)

I'm just tossing this in here, but natural light I think portrays their colors a bit better, depending on the time of day and location and whatnot. At least for my little guys. Bright sunny days aren't really the best since they can washout colors. I've taken some of what I feel to be my best shots on cloudy days on a west-facing windowsill during the afternoon. *Shrugs* That's just my personal opinion! But as far as the flash hurting them...I haven't noticed it bothering mine, when I do happen to use it.

I have been wondering the same thing, but more specifically I was wondering if it could hurt my albino's eyes? Are an albino's eyes more sensitive?

Well I try not to use flash but instead use natural light. Around 3pm in my area the sun is just right and I take pics with the flash off.

Back