CornSnakes.com Forums  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLinks ads? Register and log in!

Go Back   CornSnakes.com Forums > The CornSnake Forums > Natural History/Field Observation
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

Natural History/Field Observation Field observations of corn snakes, field collecting, or just general topics about the natural environment they are found in.

Snake ID please.

Old 10-09-2014, 06:15 PM   #1
Jupiter
Snake ID please.

Hey, so I'm pretty sure this is a corn snake, people have always said they live around here, but this is the first on I've ever seen (if it is a corn) didn't have much for reference, but it was really small maybe only 8 or so inches.

These two are outside right after I caught it:

And these three are inside, colors are pretty close in all 5 btw:

I found it under a rock behind my house, I took these pics and turned it back loose, although with how small it is I'm almost positive that if any others where born from this clutch, then they're not far away at all.

I'm a complete noob at this, but to me it looks like a normal? Right?

Old 10-09-2014, 06:19 PM   #2
Shiari
That is an eastern milk snake!

Old 10-09-2014, 06:22 PM   #3
Jupiter
Ahh thank you! See I knew I was a complete noob at this whole snake thing :P

Old 10-09-2014, 11:12 PM   #4
mikem
Very pretty little eastern milk for sure! Love the head pattern on this one!

Old 10-10-2014, 01:37 PM   #5
Chip
Very tough species to propagate in captivity, as well as uncommon in the wild, so you were right to release it. I find them to be one of our most beautiful native snakes, and it is a rare treat to encounter one in the wild. Congrats!

Old 10-10-2014, 01:43 PM   #6
Jupiter
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chip View Post
Very tough species to propagate in captivity, as well as uncommon in the wild, so you were right to release it. I find them to be one of our most beautiful native snakes, and it is a rare treat to encounter one in the wild. Congrats!

Thanks! I feel dumb for thinking it was a corn snake lol. Oh well though, really glad I know now! I think I might go back to that same area and look under some rocks and stuff, the area it was in is really rocky and is FULL of crickets and lizards and stuff. Or skinks or whatever they're called (the ones with blue tails and 5 stripes going down their back) do you think there would be more of these little guys around there? I would really like to get some more pics.

Old 10-10-2014, 01:59 PM   #7
Chip
There are likely more around, though they are elusive little critters. I believe those small lizards make up the bulk of their natural diet, and babies are known to be difficult to get on pink mice -even scented with lizard. But if you've run across one baby, it and likely its siblings are somewhere around there! Baby easterns are almost always found under logs, bark, and rocks. Good luck, and no need feeling silly about the missed ID, the species you thought it was (corn snake) is much more commonly seen and looks pretty similar at a glance.

Old 10-10-2014, 02:00 PM   #8
Jupiter
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chip View Post
There are likely more around, though they are elusive little critters. I believe those small lizards make up the bulk of their natural diet, and babies are known to be difficult to get on pink mice -even scented with lizard. But if you've run across one baby, it and likely its siblings are somewhere around there! Baby easterns are almost always found under logs, bark, and rocks. Good luck, and no need feeling silly about the missed ID, the species you thought it was (corn snake) is much more commonly seen and looks pretty similar at a glance.

Thanks! Gonna go take a walk around now!

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! Cornsnakes.com is the largest online community dedicated to cornsnakes . Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!

Google