• Hello!

Either you have not registered on this site yet, or you are registered but have not logged in. In either case, you will not be able to use the full functionality of this site until you have registered, and then logged in after your registration has been approved.

Registration is FREE, so please register so you can participate instead of remaining a lurker....

Please be certain that the location field is correctly filled out when you register. All registrations that appear to be bogus will be rejected. Which means that if your location field does NOT match the actual location of your registration IP address, then your registration will be rejected.

Sorry about the strictness of this requirement, but it is necessary to block spammers and scammers at the door as much as possible.

Not corn snake related but I need help figuring out what snake this is!!!!!

turn

So I live in western Montana and while walking around my apartment i found a snake near the heater. Yay for me! I caught it with a bowl and I don't want to let it go since its so cold out here I don't think it would survive. It's super small and very aggressive(although that's very understandable) The main native snake here is a rattle snake but there is no rattle or anything resembling one on its tail. I have an extra 10 gallon my corn outgrew, should i keep him for the winter or release him into the snow. What should I do? Any ideas to what kind of snake this is? sorry the pictures are bad. Any help is appreciated!!!!

Attachments

• IMG_0670.JPG
    IMG_0670.JPG
    334.1 KB · Views: 53
  • IMG_0671.JPG
    IMG_0671.JPG
    299.7 KB · Views: 53
  • IMG_0672.JPG
    IMG_0672.JPG
    124.9 KB · Views: 53
  • IMG_0673.JPG
    IMG_0673.JPG
    166.3 KB · Views: 53
Don't release him into the cold right now. He came into your house to get warm.

I think it's a Garter Snake. I can assure you whatever it is, it's not a rattle snake or any type of venomous snake.

If you have a zoo or animal rescue somewhere in your area, they may take him off your hands. Otherwise, don't release him until the temps get up around 58 degrees or higher. If it is a Garter snake, they typically enjoy cooler temps than most of the other snakes, and will even take a swim to cool off.

You could try feeding earthworms, small feeder fish, and small frogs, as they eat those in the wild.

Good luck with the little fella, I hope he makes it through the winter.

I thought garter snake too but it doesn't have the dorsal stripe and only part of the lateral. Plus its belly is a really dark gray, is that common? He's a lot darker than in those pictures and his scales look kind of spread out and quite rough.

Don't release him into the cold right now. He came into your house to get warm.

I think it's a Garter Snake. I can assure you whatever it is, it's not a rattle snake or any type of venomous snake.

If you have a zoo or animal rescue somewhere in your area, they may take him off your hands. Otherwise, don't release him until the temps get up around 58 degrees or higher. If it is a Garter snake, they typically enjoy cooler temps than most of the other snakes, and will even take a swim to cool off.

You could try feeding earthworms, small feeder fish, and small frogs, as they eat those in the wild.

Good luck with the little fella, I hope he makes it through the winter.

Do you think he'd eat pinkie parts? I doubt I can find earthworms this time of year.

It does look like a DeKay's Brown snake. If you can't find earthworms I bought mealworms and superworms at the local pet shop. I fed the worms that had just molted to the snakes. The snakes can't resist chasing them down and the white color got their attention fast. You can keep a colony of the worms going all winter until you can release the snake, or just buy more if needed. The superworms are larger, but their exterior coating is softer than the mealworms.

I thought garter snake too but it doesn't have the dorsal stripe and only part of the lateral. Plus its belly is a really dark gray, is that common? He's a lot darker than in those pictures and his scales look kind of spread out and quite rough.

There are a lot of varieties of Garter snakes. They don't always have the stripe(s). In fact the "Western Version" looks nothing like the ones we find here in Tennessee. If you Google Search Western Garter Snakes and switch to the "Pictures Options" you will see dozens of pictures, several of which look just like the critter here.

And being in Montana, (Montana = Western and Cooler), that's what leads me to believe that's what it is.

You can also go to YouTube and search how to feed pet garter snakes and get some ideas on what to do. They are primarily fish eaters, but will eat worms and frogs too.

There are a lot of varieties of Garter snakes. They don't always have the stripe(s). In fact the "Western Version" looks nothing like the ones we find here in Tennessee. If you Google Search Western Garter Snakes and switch to the "Pictures Options" you will see dozens of pictures, several of which look just like the critter here.

And being in Montana, (Montana = Western and Cooler), that's what leads me to believe that's what it is.

You can also go to YouTube and search how to feed pet garter snakes and get some ideas on what to do. They are primarily fish eaters, but will eat worms and frogs too.

Yeah, that's what I am thinking as well.

https://www.google.com/search?q=gar...0.69i59j0l5.8068j0j8&sourceid=chrome&ie=UTF-8

There is a LOT of variety in garter snakes, so finding one without a dorsal stripe would not be all that unusual, I would think.

But honestly, I never did much with garter snakes beyond catching them as a kid, so I am just guessing and an ID.

Back