CornSnakes.com Forums  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLinks ads? Register and log in!

Go Back   CornSnakes.com Forums > The CornSnake Forums > DIY Projects
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

DIY Projects Use this forum to post threads related to home made projects for your corns... Vivariums, hides, decorations, accessories, you name it. Anything to save some bucks or give your personalized touch.

DIY Front Opening Aquariums

Old 08-28-2009, 11:02 PM   #41
*salAMANDA88*
Hmmmm yeah those are great!..
I have a few 10 gals that I wanted to do this with...
soo.. you should just come do this for me..before I break something!..LOL..jkjk..thanks for the tips!

~~'manda

Old 02-08-2010, 06:33 AM   #42
nivek5225
This is an older post, but it is really an awesome idea and I have a question... probably a stupid question, but oh well! What are rivets, and why don't you just use screws?

Old 02-08-2010, 07:18 AM   #43
bkelm18
Quote:
Originally Posted by nivek5225 View Post
This is an older post, but it is really an awesome idea and I have a question... probably a stupid question, but oh well! What are rivets, and why don't you just use screws?
Rivets are kinda like a permanent bolt. In the photos they look like what are called pop rivets. I'd imagine the problem with using screws is making sure there is nothing sharp for the snake to injure itself on.

This really looks like a great idea. I may look into this.

Old 02-08-2010, 10:19 AM   #44
Nroc
That's a really sweet idea. It actually gave me an idea. Looking at your pics, the lip of the aquarium allows you to put a certain amount of substrate in there without it spilling over. I was wondering what could be done to allow it to hold even more substrate, and came up with this idea. I appreciate the insight...I probably would have never thought to turn an aquarium on its side, and install something like this.

Have you thought about adding something to the door to keep it from swinging inward? I assume the hinges prevent this from happening right? In the event of some form of impact or excessive force applied to the door, would the hinge crack the plastic where it attaches? I added two black rectangles to the door. These are some sort of tabs that would prevent the door from swinging inward. I am not sure how to make them, or what to make them from, but I figured they would add some stability to the door when closed. Let me know what you think.

Old 02-08-2010, 01:39 PM   #45
Nroc
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nroc View Post
Have you thought about adding something to the door to keep it from swinging inward? I assume the hinges prevent this from happening right? In the event of some form of impact or excessive force applied to the door, would the hinge crack the plastic where it attaches? I added two black rectangles to the door. These are some sort of tabs that would prevent the door from swinging inward. I am not sure how to make them, or what to make them from, but I figured they would add some stability to the door when closed. Let me know what you think.
I thought about this some more, and realized that the aquarium ledge would actually serve the purpose of those two tabs I spoke about. Does the door rest on this part of the ledge?

Old 02-08-2010, 06:02 PM   #46
The Snake Guru
Rivite instead of screws, basically what bkelm18 said....no sharp edges exposed. And being aluminum they don't rust or corrode if high humidity is needed.

The litter dam, I've actually made several now with a wider litter damn pretty close to what is shown in that diagram, running another small piece of plexi along the bottom edge of the litter dam alievates the swinging door issue you observed. Without the litter dam the lid will rest in the lip of the tank when closed.

~B~

Old 02-13-2010, 11:16 AM   #47
girthta
This is really amazing. I think I'll be converting a couple of my tanks this way. Thank you so much for posting!

Old 02-13-2010, 03:38 PM   #48
The Snake Guru
You're quite welcome, glad it helped!

~B~

Old 02-13-2010, 04:07 PM   #49
tricksterpup
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Snake Guru View Post
You're quite welcome, glad it helped!

~B~
lol I am still hoping to get that set from you.

Old 02-13-2010, 07:20 PM   #50
girthta
OK, so I have the rivet gun, rivets, plexiglass and hinges.

And questions...

I'm not 100% in love with the industrial look of that vent. Can't I use something more like this: http://www.lowes.com/ProductDisplay?...1&cmRelshp=sim secured with silicone or something? (more rivets?)

Also, the dood at the Home Despot said you can't cut plexiglass with a saw b/c it will split, etc. and recommended this scoring/popping method. But I bought the thick plexi so that's going to take forever. Or is this guy full of crap and I can use a saw? b/c I would rather have my buddy cut it for me.

no one seems to have the cam locks w/o keys (though I do have a couple more stores to try). I'm afraid of locking my babies and losing the keys!

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! Cornsnakes.com is the largest online community dedicated to cornsnakes . Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!

Google