CornSnakes.com Forums  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLinks ads? Register and log in!

Go Back   CornSnakes.com Forums > Member Forums > Rich Z's Blatherings
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

Rich Z's Blatherings Since Connie and I have retired the SerpenCo business, topics here will focus on topics of a more personal and general nature.

Meteor flash over north Florida - 03/30/2019

Old 04-01-2019, 02:20 PM   #1
Rich Z
Meteor flash over north Florida - 03/30/2019

So yesterday (03-31) I was talking to a friend of mine, and he asked if I had seen the meteor that flashed overhead late last night. Meteor? He said it was a bit before midnight, and I remembered that Connie and I were watching a movie at that time, and just so happens we did notice a flash outside the window facing south. At the time, we just thought it was lightning from a distant thunderstorm, and didn't think any more about it.

So I happened to think about the cameras I have mounted outside, so I decided to check them. Only one showed anything, and it is a video camera facing roughly northwest. Only shows the ground in front of the garage and trees lighting up brightly as some very bright object obviously passes overhead out of direct view of the camera. So the object must have been roughly southeast of us. Too bad the IR function of the camera was working then, as I have heard that the meteor put off a bright blue-green color.

Anyway, not something I've ever seen before (beyond the typical small meteor trails seen now and again), and since I caught some of it on video, well, might as well retain it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bYEnP-OGQR4

Oh yeah, I put a slowed down version of the passage towards the end of the video.

Old 04-01-2019, 03:24 PM   #2
Twolunger
Wonder where it hit? In 1966 I was driving a carload of fellow soldiers to Michigan on a 3 day pass from New Jersey. It was late at night on the Pennsylvania Turnpike when I saw what appeared to be a meteorite streaking out of the sky. It was huge and hit close to the turnpike. I woke the guys up and asked if we should go investigate, pulling off at the next exit. They asked me if I was nuts, they all wanted to get home and see their girlfriends, not some meteorite.

Old 04-01-2019, 05:36 PM   #3
Rich Z
I read that somewhere that they were saying that they believe it landed somewhere near Perry. Lots of wide open spaces out that way, so it might never be found where it struck.

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! Cornsnakes.com is the largest online community dedicated to cornsnakes . Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!

Google