CornSnakes.com Forums  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLinks ads? Register and log in!

Go Back   CornSnakes.com Forums > The CornSnake Forums > The Cultivars (morphs)/Genetics Issues
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

The Cultivars (morphs)/Genetics Issues Discussions about genetics issues and/or the various cultivars for cornsnakes commercially available.

Bloodred question

Old 10-17-2010, 07:10 PM   #11
martin-bernstein
I was about to say the same thing as Blutengel. If the breeder knew what he was talking about, he would know that a homo pied male would produce %100 het babies, not poss het babies like he told your friend.

Also, if he showed you a pair of bloodreds and said that these babies were the offspring, then he doesn't know what bloodreds are supposed to look like which would worry me a great deal. It is very possible that the female retained sperm from another male, but wouldn't the breeder know as soon as he saw the offspring that that is what happened? If he knew, and didn't tell you then that's a problem. If he didn't know, well, thats a problem too.

Old 10-17-2010, 07:17 PM   #12
MysticExotics
Quote:
Originally Posted by martin-bernstein View Post
I was about to say the same thing as Blutengel. If the breeder knew what he was talking about, he would know that a homo pied male would produce %100 het babies, not poss het babies like he told your friend.

Also, if he showed you a pair of bloodreds and said that these babies were the offspring, then he doesn't know what bloodreds are supposed to look like which would worry me a great deal. It is very possible that the female retained sperm from another male, but wouldn't the breeder know as soon as he saw the offspring that that is what happened? If he knew, and didn't tell you then that's a problem. If he didn't know, well, thats a problem too.
The possibility of retained sperm has been brought up, & I've emailed the breeder to try & get more info. There's an Expo this weekend, but I hope to hear from him soon.
He's got a pretty good reputation, & I'm inclined to believe that it's more likely a case of retained sperm.
I was there, but didn't ask many questions, because it was my friend getting the babies, & I had to ask her details later, when she gave me these babies.
(I was busy looking at all the morphs..he had a Blue Motley, that I wanted, but he wasn't available)

Old 10-17-2010, 07:20 PM   #13
fyrefocks
Quote:
Originally Posted by nwheather View Post
The possibility of retained sperm has been brought up, & I've emailed the breeder to try & get more info. There's an Expo this weekend, but I hope to hear from him soon.
He's got a pretty good reputation, & I'm inclined to believe that it's more likely a case of retained sperm.
I was there, but didn't ask many questions, because it was my friend getting the babies, & I had to ask her details later, when she gave me these babies.
(I was busy looking at all the morphs..he had a Blue Motley, that I wanted, but he wasn't available)
The guy who sold me Serra still has a male sibling available, and possibly more babies. He ships. Search Susquehanna Ectotherms in teh google.

Old 10-17-2010, 07:22 PM   #14
SnakeAround
Quote:
I have two babies, that were labeled as poss het pied, from a pair of Bloodred parents, the male is pied.
Since both parents are BR, wouldn't the babies be BR?
These two don't have the grey head, or the diffusion, but they are more reddish, & each have a clear stripe down their belly.
I figured they'd be het for BR, since both parents are BR, but someone said the whole clutch should be BR then.
I'll post a few pics...
The first three are Nakai, the male, & the other two are Nivi, the female.
You said they were labeled as poss. het pied, that's why I asked

Old 10-17-2010, 07:23 PM   #15
MysticExotics
Quote:
Originally Posted by fyrefocks View Post
The guy who sold me Serra still has a male sibling available, and possibly more babies. He ships. Search Susquehanna Ectotherms in teh google.
Don't tell me that! I already ended up with more babies than planned...not that I mind..

Old 10-18-2010, 12:42 AM   #16
MysticExotics
Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blutengel View Post
You said they were labeled as poss. het pied, that's why I asked
Aha! I got an email from the breeder...I was wrong. The parents are normal, with hets, & 2 of the babies in the clutch are bloodred, & the rest were normal, like mine. After he showed us the babies, he showed us the pied bloodred male, & the bloodred female with him. They are 50% poss het bloodred & pied.

He's got a partner in the breeding, who has the parents to my babies & he's going to get me pics of the parents, but it's better explained now.
My friend thought the parents were BR too, so I'm glad I asked the breeder.
Had I known I was going to end up with some of the babies, I would have paid closer attention to what he was saying about the babies. LOL

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! Cornsnakes.com is the largest online community dedicated to cornsnakes . Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!

Google