CornSnakes.com Forums  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLinks ads? Register and log in!

Go Back   CornSnakes.com Forums > The CornSnake Forums > Health Issues/Feeding Problems
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

Health Issues/Feeding Problems Anything related to general or specific health problems. Issues having to do with feeding problems or tips.

Four year old stopped eating

Old 03-19-2019, 05:34 AM   #1
Reggie the snake
Four year old stopped eating

Reggie is my 4 year old cornsnake. Reggie is about 3.5 foot long. It started a few months ago when 3 feeds were missed. I feed Reggie a defrosted medium mouse every week. Its now been another 3 weeks of refusing food. I've tried feeding outside the vivarium in a feeding box, locking the box with the snake and mouse inside, leaving the box open in the vivarium over night, warming the mouse prior to feeding but Reggie has no interest.
There is no change in behavior, likes hiding, looking out the window and is very active when handled.
Have 2 hides, one at the cold side (20 degrees) and another at the warm side (29 degrees), aspen is about 3 cm think, has plants and a bendy climbing stick. Reggie has own room so its very quiet. Vivarium is about 92cm long x 30cm wide.
Please help, don't know what to do?

Old 03-19-2019, 12:10 PM   #2
caseymcevoy14
Quote:
Originally Posted by Reggie the snake View Post
Reggie is my 4 year old cornsnake. Reggie is about 3.5 foot long. It started a few months ago when 3 feeds were missed. I feed Reggie a defrosted medium mouse every week. Its now been another 3 weeks of refusing food. I've tried feeding outside the vivarium in a feeding box, locking the box with the snake and mouse inside, leaving the box open in the vivarium over night, warming the mouse prior to feeding but Reggie has no interest.

There is no change in behavior, likes hiding, looking out the window and is very active when handled.

Have 2 hides, one at the cold side (20 degrees) and another at the warm side (29 degrees), aspen is about 3 cm think, has plants and a bendy climbing stick. Reggie has own room so its very quiet. Vivarium is about 92cm long x 30cm wide.

Please help, don't know what to do?
If you've been to the vet and checked he's not sick maybe try braining or scenting your mice. Or if you've recently changed where you get your mice from switch back.

Sent from my Moto G (4) using Tapatalk

Old 03-19-2019, 02:49 PM   #3
DeuceRon
Yeah, if all else fails, try the vet, just to be sure. Also, I would try a smaller prey to see if he'll at least eat something.

Good luck to you and please let us know how it goes with Reggie.

Old 03-20-2019, 11:54 AM   #4
Twolunger
The cool side at 20C is too cool. I always try to have the ambient temp at 76-78 so the cool side isn't too cool. Your warm side is good. Some have said their males go off feed during breeding season. Mine never do, but it's possible. The important thing is has he been losing weight? If he is still maintaining his weight I wouldn't be as concerned as I would if he was losing weight. If he is losing weight a trip to the vet is in order.

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! Cornsnakes.com is the largest online community dedicated to cornsnakes . Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!

Google

Tags
not eating