CornSnakes.com Forums  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLinks ads? Register and log in!

Go Back   CornSnakes.com Forums > The CornSnake Forums > Breeding/Egg Production & Care
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Notices

Breeding/Egg Production & Care Any topics concerning breeding of the cornsnake, brumation, egg laying, or issues concerning problems in any step along the way.

Blood During/After Copulation

Old 04-04-2003, 11:43 AM   #1
Dennis Gulla
Blood During/After Copulation

I placed a pair of my corns together again for breeding. Copulation was witnessed rather quickly, so I left them together and went to bed. When I got up and checked on them, I noticed that there was some blood smeared on the newspaper. I checked both animals for lacerations or wounds and then checked both animal's cloaca. I did not see any wounds or blood on either animal.
Is this someting that I should be concerned about? I have never seen this before with any of my other breedings, however, I have only produced a few clutches.
Thanks for any help!

Old 04-04-2003, 12:43 PM   #2
Darin Chappell
Dennis,

I have seen blood smears before, and I believe that they are a normal (though not universal) result of the process. Personally, I **think** it's from those instances where she's ready for a break before he is, and tries to pull away too soon. But, who knows, it could be something completely different than that. I just knw I've never seen any ill effects from it.

Good luck with the coming eggs!

Old 04-04-2003, 01:15 PM   #3
Dennis Gulla
Thanks for the reply Darin!!

Old 04-05-2003, 10:04 PM   #4
Susan
I've seen this happen several times, and the blood does come from the male. It doesn't seem to do any real harm as the males have no trouble mating with the same female 2 days later, or subsequent females later on.

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! Cornsnakes.com is the largest online community dedicated to cornsnakes . Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!

Google