• Hello!

Either you have not registered on this site yet, or you are registered but have not logged in. In either case, you will not be able to use the full functionality of this site until you have registered, and then logged in after your registration has been approved.

Registration is FREE, so please register so you can participate instead of remaining a lurker....

Please be certain that the location field is correctly filled out when you register. All registrations that appear to be bogus will be rejected. Which means that if your location field does NOT match the actual location of your registration IP address, then your registration will be rejected.

Sorry about the strictness of this requirement, but it is necessary to block spammers and scammers at the door as much as possible.

Progression: Shadow the Eastern Indigo Snake

Great news. Shadow just ate 3, 1 day old pinks, a 1 day chick thigh and a small silverside all on his own grabbed from my 10 inch feeding tongs. I didn’t try to pick him up or weigh him before or after so as not to disturb any possible feeding response.

He had been without food for 12 days because of the shed, so I was hoping a little hunger would help my effort. I let him rest yesterday but he was out doing what looked to me like looking for food this morning. He was interested in the prey and when I accidentally bumped his nose doing the “prey dance” he grabbed the first pinkie (I had rubbed its nose on the fish— the other items were not scented). Then he just gobbled!

I’ll weigh him after he poops. We are off to the races!

Thanks, Karl. They are little different to feed than any I’ve had before!

I was hoping to tempt him with one of the prey items I had laid out, but once he was feeding there was no reason not to give him whatever of it he would take.

I see that you offered him a variety, including a fish. I didn't know they were fish eaters. Very interesting. Glad he ate them all, and you didn't have to force or assist him. That has to make you feel good that he took the food from your tongs.

Have you by chance seen the guy on youtube feeding his Indigo snake?

You mean the guy on the couch with the snake in his arms hand feeding chicken necks? That one? It’s awesome.

Yep doing a total happy dance here.

Eastern indigos can be fed only rodents, but they thrive on variety. You just have to be careful because some fish destroys thiamine, but Sally’s brand silversides (sold as frozen fish food) are considered safe. When he’s bigger, tilapia filets will be on the menu.

Lol on the fish fry.

I hadn’t seen that one but it’s very nice. That indigo has the same coloring as Shadow. What you see in that video is why they are in such high demand. They are very smart and very responsive.

Did you see how that snake waggles his head as he walks his jaws down the prey? Shadow eats just like that. They are so cute!

Hi DollysMom that video was brilliant I and see why people love them
Pat

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Shadow must have been a happy boy after all that! I smiled when I read what you fed him ... it was kinda like he stopped off at the 'Indigo Diner' and got the variety pack meal! You're going to have to make him a little bib for chow time.

Thanks, Ken! Maybe we need a bib and a diaper.

As they say, this too shall pass, so I woke up to a cleaning job, lol. After everything was clean and shiny we had a very positive handling session. Shadow weighed 67 grams this morning.

RBES5N0h.jpg

I wish they make snake nappies as we call them
Most weeks George poos on me I put him on a towel on my lap but somehow
He always get me not the towel bless him
Zuzee has not poo on me yet
Pat
Ps shadow is beautiful

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Thanks, Pat! Lol on snake nappies. Somehow the UK term nappy sounds more elegant than our term diaper.

Truth be told I get a lot of satisfaction from knowing their systems are working properly and a lot of satisfaction from keeping their homes squeaky clean. In other words as crazy as it sounds, cleaning up snake poop makes me happy. Strange, I know.

Yes same here I would do anything to make sure they are both happy and in good health
Pat

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Back