• Hello!

Either you have not registered on this site yet, or you are registered but have not logged in. In either case, you will not be able to use the full functionality of this site until you have registered, and then logged in after your registration has been approved.

Registration is FREE, so please register so you can participate instead of remaining a lurker....

Please be certain that the location field is correctly filled out when you register. All registrations that appear to be bogus will be rejected. Which means that if your location field does NOT match the actual location of your registration IP address, then your registration will be rejected.

Sorry about the strictness of this requirement, but it is necessary to block spammers and scammers at the door as much as possible.

Scarlet king snake in the garage

Rich Z

Administrator
Staff member
I went over to the garage late tonight, as I needed to charge up some batteries for my lawn maintenance equipment, and it turned out to be a lucky thing for this little scarlet king snake that was in there. I have a dehumidifier running 24/7 in the garage, so any animals that get in there that can't find their way out, will dehydrate pretty quickly. So quite likely I would have found this one all shriveled up and dead in the middle of the floor by tomorrow.

Anyway, sorry about the really poor quality of these images. I wanted to use my Fuji camera body with my Nikon macro lens and forgot that I had set it to programmed mode instead of aperture priority at f22. So consequently depth of field just really sucks. It's been a good year or so since I used this camera and forgot that I had changed the settings in order to compare the results with what I was getting from a couple of newer cameras I have gotten. But I guess poor pics are better than no pics sometimes. There aren't any do-overs with this, because I released the critter and it vanished into the pine needles and is gone.

scarlet_king_2017_01.jpg

scarlet_king_2017_02.jpg

scarlet_king_2017_03.jpg

scarlet_king_2017_04.jpg

I have been looking for the scarlets for a long time. I have only found them dead on the road. I should go out looking at night, but the mosquitos would draw so much blood I'd need a transfusion when I got home.

Any word from Nanci? Hope she is okay and has power.

What a beautiful little snake, Rich. I'm so glad you found him in time. Thanks for the pictures. They are still nice.

Back