CornSnakes.com Forums  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLinks ads? Register and log in!

Go Back   CornSnakes.com Forums > The CornSnake Forums > New Member Introductions
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

New Member Introductions Getting more and more new members here, so I think we need a forum for them to introduce themselves. You old timers can do the same, if you would like.

Long time reptile lover, having a resurgence!

Old 12-09-2019, 09:18 PM   #1
Astrophysics
Long time reptile lover, having a resurgence!

Hello all, new member.

As a kid, I always loved reptiles. I've owned an iguana, Chinese water dragon, several corn snakes, ball pythons, fish, etc. As I got older, I stepped away from the hobby to focus on life and careers. Here I am almost 25 and getting back in to it. I really wanted another snake and wanted to hold out for a boa constrictor, but I couldn't stand the itch any longer and purchased my first corn snake instead for the first time in at least 10 years. Meet Louie!

Any ideas on the morph? I posted on a FB group and was told he's a blood red stripe. But I personally believe that he/she is an amel stripe.

Old 12-09-2019, 10:15 PM   #2
SnakeCreations
Hi There!

Definitely not an amel, his eye color is wrong. Still, a pretty guy!

-Tonya

Old 12-10-2019, 06:02 AM   #3
Zincubus
Looks like some kind of Amel
Stripe variation??

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Old 12-10-2019, 07:14 AM   #4
67temp
Welcome to the forum, feel free to ask any questions you may have!

I agree with snakecreations that it's not an amel due to having a black pupil. Still very cute.

Old 12-10-2019, 01:17 PM   #5
Dragonling
This looks like a fairly typical Stripe with a somewhat vanishing pattern. He will likely lose more of the pattern and brighten in color as he matures.

Old 12-10-2019, 01:32 PM   #6
MysticExotics
Looks like a normal stripe. As mentioned, possibly vanishing stripe. Time will tell.

Welcome, btw!

Old 12-10-2019, 07:27 PM   #7
Astrophysics
Morph/genetic question

Thanks all.

One thing I'm still trying to wrap my head around is, well, breeding. I mean... say you want to produce a particular pattern, or color, or morph. Like in Burmese pythons, to get a pearl you would mate an albino to a hypo.

But how exactly are combinations calculated?

Say for example I were to breed these 2 corn snakes in the photos, 1 being a stripe of some sort with some diffusing on the belly, (mine) and the other is a Tessera. I was also told that it's a Tessera, anery, cinder, and possible amel. That doesn't necessarily mean that it's showing all of those traits, just that it's carrying the recessive gene that could be potentially be passed on, correct?

If I punch those into morphmarket calculator, it gives me 2 possible offspring, Tessera 100% Het Anerythristic 100% Het Cinder 100% Het Stripe
and 100% Het Anerythristic 100% Het Cinder 100% Het Stripe

Tessera being a dominant gene is going to show through all recessive genes, correct?

Old 12-11-2019, 05:05 PM   #8
blacktip
The tessera in the picture is a normal phase so it must be het for anery and cinder and possibly be het for amel. Assuming your stripe has no hets then you would get 50% tessera het stripe possible het anery, cinder and amel and 50% normals het for stripe and possible het anery, cinder and amel.

That being said, there's a good chance your stripe will be het for anery and/or amel. If that is the case you could also get anery, amel or possibly even snows in both tessera and normal patterns.

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! Cornsnakes.com is the largest online community dedicated to cornsnakes . Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!

Google

Tags
amel stripe, blood red, stripe