• Hello!

Either you have not registered on this site yet, or you are registered but have not logged in. In either case, you will not be able to use the full functionality of this site until you have registered, and then logged in after your registration has been approved.

Registration is FREE, so please register so you can participate instead of remaining a lurker....

Please be certain that the location field is correctly filled out when you register. All registrations that appear to be bogus will be rejected. Which means that if your location field does NOT match the actual location of your registration IP address, then your registration will be rejected.

Sorry about the strictness of this requirement, but it is necessary to block spammers and scammers at the door as much as possible.

Poo cleaning...

Neo

Ok i clean my snakes tank every 3 weeks and clean the water bowl once a week. I spot clean whenever poo is seen. when i spot clean it is stressful for my snake when i have to take out everythink to change soaked paper. what do ou guys do? :confused: :confused: :confused: :confused: :confused: :confused: :confused: :confused:

Well..I'm guessing you use paper towels since you were talking about "soaked paper."
I use paper towels too but I don't have to take everything out..unless you use one long piece? I usually use like shredded paper towels so i only have to pick out that one spot and if any poop is stuck the the bottom or sides i use a wet paper towel to rub it off. I do a full tank clean once or twice a month depending on how motivated I am..

I use Aspen Shavings for all my my corns except hatchlings. I check and clean all PooMatter every day. It's time consuming but dirty cages are a pet peeve of mine. (That and during the summer if some fruit flies get in the room I tend to have maggot problems. Which is never good)

-Kev

The cages around here are cleaned every week. The regimen is that the snake is put into a temporary holding cage, the newspaper (that's what I use as a substrate) is rolled up and thrown away. Any loose fecal material is scraped from the bottom of the cage and deposited into the 'scum bucket'. These buckets get dumped on the bamboo groves whenever they get ripe.

Fresh paper is put down, the water bowl wiped out and fresh water provided. The snake is then put back into it's cage and offered a meal.

Now a well acclimated corn snake will not get stressed out from this sort of activity. It will be just part of the background scenery for it, and as long as it has no fear of you, there is no need to get stressed out. Matter of fact, mine are SO used to this procedure that they have learned that they are going to get fed sometime in all of this activity and it is sometimes a challenge keeping the snake from grabbing your hand by mistake. One the hatchlings get to be about a 6 months old, they have picked up on the routine and are acting the same way.

It is VERY rare for us to have a corn snake act stressed out for any reason related to cage cleaning or handling. I guess this is because 20 some years of weeding out the malcontents has just about eliminated that sort of misbehavior in those guys.

every three weeks???

i clean my snake out once a week and remove poo everyday if there is any
and the water bowl is cleaned everyday i have 2 so i can disinfect 1 and use the other
Clean out ur snake every 3 weeks means that you run the risk of mites and other nasty infections.
water bowls should be cleaned every day to remove any scum and nasty stuff remember that your snake not only drinks that water he/she also bathes in it!!
Frankly im appalled:eek:

Hey Neo,
I used to use paper as well but I noticed that my Snakes would wait for about 5 minutes after I cleaned and replaced the paper then pooped.
I now use Aspen, it is much easier to spot clean and the snakes can hide under it if they want.
Jimmy C.

Back