• Hello!

Either you have not registered on this site yet, or you are registered but have not logged in. In either case, you will not be able to use the full functionality of this site until you have registered, and then logged in after your registration has been approved.

Registration is FREE, so please register so you can participate instead of remaining a lurker....

Please be certain that the location field is correctly filled out when you register. All registrations that appear to be bogus will be rejected. Which means that if your location field does NOT match the actual location of your registration IP address, then your registration will be rejected.

Sorry about the strictness of this requirement, but it is necessary to block spammers and scammers at the door as much as possible.

New member and baby corn snake! (Pic heavy)

Jtmatsumoto

Hey everyone! I'm really looking forward to being a member on this forum!!

Today I brought home an Amelanistic corn snake!!

y7uzyjet.jpg

ydypevug.jpg

Here's a pic of it's terrarium
yry4apyz.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Welcome and beautiful corn.

Thank you!!

Welcome and pretty little Amel!

Thank you!! I'm really glad I found an awesome forum for corn snakes!

Ooh, I think she'll be a bright adult. Pretty baby and nice setup.

Thank you!! I do have one question you might be able to help with. I've read on a couple care sheets the best temps for the warm side of the terrarium should be around 80-85. I currently have an UTH and an OT 60w bulb but my temp on the warm side is around 91. The cold side seems fine ranging from 75-80. I'm worried not enough light will get into the enclosure without the OT. Should I turn the UTH off unless it's digesting?

I don't think you need both. Corn snakes are crepuscular, meaning that they're active in the early morning and evening, so in nature they wouldn't generally be out mid-day. It seems like with both of your heating sources, your warm side is a bit too warm anyway, so I'd probably turn off the light, and maybe only use it if you have a particularly cold day. I also worry that constant light might be bad for albino eyes. Your snake should get enough natural light just by being in your house.

Is there a thermostat for the UTH? Also, are you using thermometers with probes, or are they stuck on to the tank surface? I'm looking at your last pic, which brings these questions to mind.

If your home gets really cold in winter (60ish or lower), you might think of supplementing the UTH with a low-wattage bulb to add ambient heat. Other than that, I'd stick to using the UTH alone, regulated by a thermostat to keep it from getting too hot.

I love your little amel. What's his/her name?

I don't think you need both. Corn snakes are crepuscular, meaning that they're active in the early morning and evening, so in nature they wouldn't generally be out mid-day. It seems like with both of your heating sources, your warm side is a bit too warm anyway, so I'd probably turn off the light, and maybe only use it if you have a particularly cold day. I also worry that constant light might be bad for albino eyes. Your snake should get enough natural light just by being in your house.

Is there a thermostat for the UTH? Also, are you using thermometers with probes, or are they stuck on to the tank surface? I'm looking at your last pic, which brings these questions to mind.

If your home gets really cold in winter (60ish or lower), you might think of supplementing the UTH with a low-wattage bulb to add ambient heat. Other than that, I'd stick to using the UTH alone, regulated by a thermostat to keep it from getting too hot.

I love your little amel. What's his/her name?

Thank you both so much for the help!! I don't have a thermostat for the UTH yet but it is a smaller one and has felt too hot. I live in a basement and have my snake down there with me so it gets extremely cold in the winter (I'm also from Colorado so snow and all that jazz). Also there isn't any natural light. The thermometers are also just the stick ones. I plan on getting probe ones with my next paycheck.

Thank you for the help! I'm pretty in love with my little fella. I'm not sure if it's a make or female yet so I'm holding off on the name till I can get it probed.

Before I went to work this morning I left the UTH on and raised my lamp off the screen. The temp was 81 when I left and now it's sitting at 80. Cold side has been at 75 and humidity a constant 40%.

Your hands are enormous! ;)

I want another baby snake, they're so cute and small. Love the colors on your little one!

Your hands are enormous! ;)

I want another baby snake, they're so cute and small. Love the colors on your little one!

Haha right!? When I held it before putting it in it's enclosure I felt like I was going to crush the little one!

Thank you! I hope its colors turn out great as it matures!! :)

OMG soooo tiny and cute!
Welcome to the forums!!
If you have a small bright flashlight, you could try candling to make a guess at the gender, I think with your little girl/guy being so small and light colored you may be able to tell.. Plus I learned with a snow/blizzard baby that you can also see the heart and lungs working (sooo cool!)

Someone here on the forums mentioned candling their hatchling as a preliminary guess on gender (to be verified later) .
If I remember right, the hemipenes are right behind the cloaca, So there should be a pocket there, or a spot that should show up when you shine the light from the side..
Can someone who has experience with this confirm this?

I know you are holding off on naming, but are you leaning toward any names?

Nancy

OMG soooo tiny and cute!
Welcome to the forums!!
If you have a small bright flashlight, you could try candling to make a guess at the gender, I think with your little girl/guy being so small and light colored you may be able to tell.. Plus I learned with a snow/blizzard baby that you can also see the heart and lungs working (sooo cool!)

Someone here on the forums mentioned candling their hatchling as a preliminary guess on gender (to be verified later) .
If I remember right, the hemipenes are right behind the cloaca, So there should be a pocket there, or a spot that should show up when you shine the light from the side..
Can someone who has experience with this confirm this?

I know you are holding off on naming, but are you leaning toward any names?

Nancy

Awesome tip!! I will defiantly try that in a couple days after it's got acclimated to it's cage! I haven't really thought of any names yet but hopefully I'll be able to get some going. But all of my friends keep suggesting Harry Potter ones!

Small update: Caught this little one cruising around it's viv last night. Can't wait to attempt it's first feed in a couple days. I'll be uploading some more pics soon!

ehe7aqes.jpg

That blue light is so cool!! Just curious, does the blue light hurt the snakes eyes? (Just curious)

I don't believe so! Some manufacturers of blue and red bulbs often claim reptiles can't see the light at all because of the frequency but I noticed my snake looking at it a couple times. If anything I would think it's comparable to moonlight and it doesn't seem to harm my snakes activity level at all. I only leave it on for a little while after turning off the daytime bulb I use. It's just so I can spy on the little guy :)

That blue light is so cool!! Just curious, does the blue light hurt the snakes eyes? (Just curious)

UV lights can hurt a corn's eyes, especially amels. They are albino, and don't have the pigmentation to protect them from the rays, much like human albinos. They can be blinded by the UV lights in extreme cases.

I like the blue, I want to try different color lights with all my different colored kiddos.

UV lights can hurt a corn's eyes, especially amels. They are albino, and don't have the pigmentation to protect them from the rays, much like human albinos. They can be blinded by the UV lights in extreme cases.

I like the blue, I want to try different color lights with all my different colored kiddos.

Thanks for the info! I've also read UV is harmful to snakes eyes plus nocturnal ones like corns don't need UV anyways.

That's a really awesome idea. I've yet to use a red light for any of my reptiles but I'm sure it would be awesome! Especially for one coming from a desert environment!! Have you seen any colors besides blue and red that can be used for night?

Another update: First feed was successful!! After I fed my new baby it made its way over to the warm hide I have placed above the UTH (first time I've seen it use it's warm hide so I'm pretty excited it's comfortable and regulating temperatures properly!!).
u4u2agu3.jpg

Since it's so tiny I'm probably going to wait till after it's next feeding until I start handling. Would this be alright or should I start handling in 3 days so it doesn't develop a temper?

Back