CornSnakes.com Forums  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLinks ads? Register and log in!

Go Back   CornSnakes.com Forums > The CornSnake Forums > The Cultivars (morphs)/Genetics Issues
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

The Cultivars (morphs)/Genetics Issues Discussions about genetics issues and/or the various cultivars for cornsnakes commercially available.

What's the difference?

Old 12-04-2012, 09:35 PM   #1
Jessica29
What's the difference?

Between a high white reverse okeetee and a candycane? From all the pics I see, they look exactly the same. And both are just selectively bred Amels, correct?

Old 12-04-2012, 09:50 PM   #2
loyalsissaly84
Im not to sure but I think the high white r/o has wider boarders of white, while the Candycane is red saddles are closer together. But I could be wrong.

Old 12-05-2012, 12:00 AM   #3
Rich Z
They really shouldn't look anything at all alike. The "reverse okeetee" should have much more orange in the background coloration, whereas the "candy cane" should be predominantly white background. But I think many people have gotten pretty helter skelter with the naming conventions over the years.

Old 12-05-2012, 01:26 AM   #4
5 Star Serpents
I agree with Rich, to me they look nothing alike but people will call them anything if it'll help it sell unfortunately

Old 12-05-2012, 02:02 AM   #5
Weda737
What they said, and a good candy cane should be banded I think.

Old 12-05-2012, 04:25 AM   #6
loyalsissaly84
See, I was wrong. I asked that same question at the reptile expo and the man told me the difference between them and showed me a high white R/O and a Candycane and they looked diff to me.

Old 12-05-2012, 07:08 AM   #7
Susan
A candycane does not have to have the wide white saddle bands, just have the white ground color with rich saddles.
Candycane (photo from South Mountain Reptiles)

A high white reverse Okeetee has extremely wide white saddle bands that often completely eliminate the actual saddle color, especially closer towards the tail.
High White Reverse Okeetee (photo from South Mountain Reptiles)

Personally, while I do love a perfect candycane, I'm very partial to the looks of the classic Reverse Okeetee.
Reverse Okeetee (photo from South Mountain Reptiles)

Old 12-05-2012, 08:13 AM   #8
Jessica29
The high white reverse okeetee that Susan posted was the kind I was referring too. I've seen ones that look exactly like a candycane sell for high whye reverse okeetees On Fauana. I supposed they may have been mislabeled.

Old 12-05-2012, 01:41 PM   #9
Jaded_Heart
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jessica29 View Post
And both are just selectively bred Amels, correct?
Yes genetically they are all "just Amel"

From what I understand, Candycanes were made by using the Miami Phase + Amel gene to produce a snake with no orange ground color. For all intent and purpose, the saddle borders are not bred for, IMO they hardly have borders at all.

High White Reverse Okeetees, even the ones with no orange in the ground color like the one pictured, still have very clear and very dramatic borders around their saddles.

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! Cornsnakes.com is the largest online community dedicated to cornsnakes . Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!

Google