CornSnakes.com Forums  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLinks ads? Register and log in!

Go Back   CornSnakes.com Forums > The CornSnake Forums > The Cultivars (morphs)/Genetics Issues
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

The Cultivars (morphs)/Genetics Issues Discussions about genetics issues and/or the various cultivars for cornsnakes commercially available.

The Masque trait

Old 12-03-2012, 09:35 AM   #1
Monty
The Masque trait

Just curious about this trait and wanted to get some insight.
From what I have read so far, it is a completely seperate trait from diffused, however plays a role in the bloodred line? This trait and gene set discovery must be fairly new because there is very limited information on it.
Has anyone ever played with it and come up with any other morphs to get out of it?

Old 12-10-2012, 03:43 PM   #2
snakepunk
I believe masque is responsible for giving Silverqueens' their distinctive look. Many times animals sold as "het bloodred" are just masque (a true bloodred is the combination of several genes).

Old 12-10-2012, 03:46 PM   #3
Tom Tuttle
Quote:
Originally Posted by snakepunk View Post
I believe masque is responsible for giving Silverqueens' their distinctive look. Many times animals sold as "het bloodred" are just masque (a true bloodred is the combination of several genes).
Sorry but there isn't a combination of genes that makes a bloodred. It's one simple recessive gene.

Old 12-10-2012, 03:47 PM   #4
Tom Tuttle
Quote:
Originally Posted by Monty View Post
Just curious about this trait and wanted to get some insight.
From what I have read so far, it is a completely seperate trait from diffused, however plays a role in the bloodred line? This trait and gene set discovery must be fairly new because there is very limited information on it.
Has anyone ever played with it and come up with any other morphs to get out of it?

There are several threads about the masque available. I might suggest using the search feature.

Old 12-10-2012, 03:53 PM   #5
snakepunk
I beg to differ Tom. I believe you are thinking of diffusion. Bloodreds are diffused+masque+borderless+redcoat/redfactor.

Old 12-10-2012, 04:21 PM   #6
Shiari
There are bloodreds with borders. Redcoat/redfactor is not required. Even masque is not required. Bloodred is, for the most part, a line bred phenomena just as sunglows, candycanes and miami-phase are line bred.

Old 12-11-2012, 07:06 AM   #7
NiklasTyreso
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom Tuttle View Post
Sorry but there isn't a combination of genes that makes a bloodred. It's one simple recessive gene.
I have seen diffused grey/Miami coloured snakes, that was diffused but not Blood. So, the diffused gene do not make bloods.

Bloods are diffused animals selectively breed for other traits/genes like red colour etc.

The Masque trait originated in bloodreds and still many bloods have the the Masque head pattern.

Old 12-11-2012, 11:45 AM   #8
JimGERcream
bloods are bloods, some people differ between diffused and bloods, but for me they're all bloods. that worked the past 25 years, it will work the next 25 years for me too.

Old 12-11-2012, 01:38 PM   #9
snakepunk
The reason people differentiate between bloodreds and diffused is because they are different. That's how the term "old-school' bloods came about, because they're no longer genetically the same. You really can't compare the two visually either. It's like outcrossing a candycane and calling the resulting amels "candycanes". I guess you can call your snakes whatever you want, but that doesn't make them that morph, no matter how long you've been doing it.

Old 12-11-2012, 02:20 PM   #10
JimGERcream
diffused has the bloodred trait, bloodred has the bloodred trait. of course, old school bloods look nothing like those brownish bloods you often see meanwhile, but both carry the same trait.

it's weird that people start to rename things after such a long time. the central issue is that the "diffused"-people automatically connect the word bloodred with oldschool bloodred phenotype, but not with the non-scientific name of the gene. When I talk about bloods, I always mean the gene - not the phenotype. I believe that's the fundamental misunderstanding in that context.

afaik people start to rename bloods because they don't look red enough - under these definition I wonder what a phantom looks like or a ghost...and why nobody starts to rename those morphs too?!

it would have been much easier if it has stayed on the bloodred and oldschool bloodred status, it's just a non-scientific name such as ghost, phantom, opal or silverqueen.

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! Cornsnakes.com is the largest online community dedicated to cornsnakes . Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!

Google