CornSnakes.com Forums  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLinks ads? Register and log in!

Go Back   CornSnakes.com Forums > The CornSnake Forums > The Cultivars (morphs)/Genetics Issues
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Notices

The Cultivars (morphs)/Genetics Issues Discussions about genetics issues and/or the various cultivars for cornsnakes commercially available.

What color to bread with Sunglow Motley?

Old 12-03-2012, 05:27 AM   #1
Jafar
What color to bread with Sunglow Motley?

I have a Sunglow Motley male, and i would like to know for the future what color female will be a nice match.

I really like snow, but what colors would i get then?

Jafars mother is Sunglow Motley, father striped Miami phase

Old 12-03-2012, 07:48 AM   #2
Susan
Most people do like to bread their corn snakes with corn meal before deep frying, but I've also used just plain ol' bread crumbs and they come out just as tasty.

I'm sorry. I simply couldn't resist.

Since Jafar is from a sunglow motley X Miami phase stripe, the Miami phase stripe is het amel and Jafar is an amel motley/stripe, meaning he has one motley gene and one stripe gene.

Breeding him with a snow will produce all amel offspring unless he is het anery, which is possible IF his motley was het anery and passed that gene on to Jafar. If he is het anery, you will also get snows.

If you get a snow that is also either het or homozygous for either motley, stripe or both, you will then get some amel motleys &/or amel stripes in the clutch. Again, IF Jafar is het anery, you would also get snow motleys &/or snow stripes.

Old 12-03-2012, 10:47 AM   #3
Jafar
Sorry! English is not my first language

His father is not anery,
So if i want snow outcome, i would have to breed with Anery?

What would be other nice combinations with Jafar?

Old 12-03-2012, 11:15 AM   #4
Wyldrose
Het means carry the gene. Most colors are from recessive genes, meaning both animals have to either carry the gene(Het) or be it.

If you breed Jafar to an amel you will get 100% amels het stripe or motley
If you breed Jafar to a snow you will get 100% amels het anery, stripe or motley
If Jafar is Het anery and is bred to a snow you will get 50% snows and 50% amels Het stripe of motley
If you breed Jafar to a motley or stripe you will getg 100% motleys or stripes

There is always a chance that he carries other genes.

Old 12-03-2012, 11:19 AM   #5
Jessica29
If your snake is not het for anery, and you breed him
To a snow, which is visually expresses the Amel and anery gene, you will only get Amel offspring who will be het for anery and motley, and possibly het for stripe assuming yours got the stripe gene from the father.

Old 12-03-2012, 11:27 AM   #6
Jafar
in the 'litter' of Jafar, he had some snow brothers and sisters..

Old 12-03-2012, 11:35 AM   #7
Jessica29
That would make both of his parents het for anery. Which would make Jafar het anery as well.

Old 12-04-2012, 06:58 AM   #8
Susan
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jessica29 View Post
That would make both of his parents het for anery. Which would make Jafar het anery as well.
Jafar is not guaranteed to be het anery, but he has a 66% chance of it. He may or may not have inherited the gene from either his mother or his father.

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! Cornsnakes.com is the largest online community dedicated to cornsnakes . Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!

Google