CornSnakes.com Forums  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLinks ads? Register and log in!

Go Back   CornSnakes.com Forums > The CornSnake Forums > The Cultivars (morphs)/Genetics Issues
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Notices

The Cultivars (morphs)/Genetics Issues Discussions about genetics issues and/or the various cultivars for cornsnakes commercially available.

New pick up from petco, any idea what it is?

Old 12-04-2012, 10:12 AM   #1
ds1021
New pick up from petco, any idea what it is?

Hi I am new to this forum and I have a question. After 15 years of keeping snakes I went to college and had to give them all away. Well I am trying to get back in the hobby after 4 years and I was in Petco looking around and saw a few corn snakes. This Petco is very good with their reptiles, all healthy and they only order a few to not overcrowd. I usually buy from breeders but I have had Petco corns live very long if you can find a healthy one. Anyways they had a Okeetee, Snow, and a Amel. When I asked to see them she found a fourth snake which I am not quite sure what it is. That snake was very lively in the cage and actively exploring but very calm while being held. I had to buy him/her, but now its just figuring out what morph it is. I thought she was a dark normal or Okeetee. She has a dark gray background color with these almost black saddles from afar. But close up her saddles are deep burgundy/red like a Miami corn. It only has yellow/orange on the top of its head between the saddles. and stops a inch down. Could this be a Miami? The saddles are not brown so Im guessing its not a caramel. And its pupils are black with dark red eyes like a normal so its not a Anery. Any input will be appreciated! I attached some pictures.

Old 12-04-2012, 01:07 PM   #2
Shiari
Most likely she's a normal. Give her a few sheds to color up.

Old 12-04-2012, 06:01 PM   #3
Buzzard
Unless you know that one or both of the parents are from an Okeetee line of corn snakes, I would stick with normal. Some pictures in a more natural light setting would help with better identification. Okeetee can be a look or a locality morph. What Petco is probably referring to is the "Okeetee look" which refers to the presence of dark black borders on the saddles.

Old 12-04-2012, 06:13 PM   #4
pheonix
From those pictures, I'm thinking caramel. But from your discription I'm thinking normal.

Old 12-04-2012, 06:20 PM   #5
epicdoom
Looks like a normal to me also. Sometimes they will be listed as fancy and sold for more. Talking with the staff at my local stores one of who has raised and bred corns for decades, said they get them in from the breeders as fancy even tho she knows they are normals she has to mark and sell them as fancy, because the store pays the breeder more for them. My guess is the breeders know there normal but figure staff at the store doesn't know bad business IMO. Anyhow its a nice looking little one I'm sure it will be happier now.

Old 12-04-2012, 06:32 PM   #6
ds1021
The first picture i added a effect to it to not make it blurry and enhance it. Looking at it now i see yellow markings and it really does not have any. Its mostly gray with black/burgendy saddles with no boarders yet. From pictures of newly hatched miami corns, they look identical. The "oakeetee" it was with was really a normal with red and yellow markings between the saddles. Ill put a better picture up later with no effects but how do you know this is not a miami corn? Thanks. I just never saw a normal with so much deep red and gray colorings. Thats why he stood out!

Old 12-04-2012, 08:02 PM   #7
ghosthousecorns
Well the snake can't be that yellow unless your hand is! If you happen to have jaundice, I'm guessing it's a caramel. In the other photo the aspen shavings look kind of pink. It might help if you take some pics in natural light, but from your description it could be anery.

Old 12-04-2012, 08:10 PM   #8
yojoe05
The second picture and your description has me thinking it might be an anery, but really I'd be shocked if it isn't a normal. Petco and places like Petsmart just typically have normals and if you find anything else it might be a nice amel. It might be a miami or okeetee but better pictures would be needed to be certain.

Old 12-04-2012, 08:30 PM   #9
Pugsley
An aside, the local Petco had a snow, amel, normal and anery just this last weekend. Of course they were all labeled corn snakes and in the same tank. Hatchlings.

Old 12-04-2012, 08:35 PM   #10
yojoe05
Yeah I've seen snows and anerys but it definitely seems like normals and amels are the most common. Then every once in a while you'll find a lavender or something really uncommon at them, whenever I go into the city though its almost always a normal or an amel that I find. Hearing some peoples finds at chain stores though definitely has my eye more open now when we're there.

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! Cornsnakes.com is the largest online community dedicated to cornsnakes . Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!

Google