CornSnakes.com Forums  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLinks ads? Register and log in!

Go Back   CornSnakes.com Forums > The CornSnake Forums > The Cultivars (morphs)/Genetics Issues
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Notices

The Cultivars (morphs)/Genetics Issues Discussions about genetics issues and/or the various cultivars for cornsnakes commercially available.

Silver or Charcoal.

Old 12-10-2012, 05:18 AM   #1
ryuu
Silver or Charcoal.

Greetings. Firstly Let me Introduce Myself..

I am From South Africa and I have Kept and Bred a few different species of Snakes..

I would Like it If i could Receive some help from you guys on this form..

I Stumbled on to this site via google.. Trying to Search for the Answer to my Question..

So let me Get Started.

I Bought a female Corn Snake from a local Pet shop.. She is Quite Large and Healthy. She was being sold as a Charcoal Corn. But I figured she was Silver.. However in the mean time I was looking up the differences between the Two..

I would have to Wait for my Male Snow Corn to breed with her to Definitively Prove that she is Charcoal or Silver. But Im taking a bet that you guys on the Form can help me.. Im sure there are some people that have a trained eye for checking the Difference..

I also Read that the Eye Color can be a key factor in determining witch morph she is.. but im still not too sure how that works..

She has very little Yellow on her neck and another thing that makes me think shes a silver is the fact that she is quite dark.. the Charcoals i have seen so far where fairly light..

So please have a Look at the Picture and let me know what you guys think..

Thanks in advance
Regards Ryuu

Old 12-10-2012, 05:30 AM   #2
diamondlil
Silver is what you guys call anery, isn't it? Your snake does look more anery than charcoal to me, but breeding her to the snow will be your best bet for finding out.

Old 12-10-2012, 05:53 AM   #3
ryuu
Quote:
Originally Posted by diamondlil View Post
Silver is what you guys call anery, isn't it? Your snake does look more anery than charcoal to me, but breeding her to the snow will be your best bet for finding out.
Yea Anery A = Silver Sorry :P

I will breed her to the Snow Next year..

That is the Only issue when buying a Snake from a pet shop.. No Decent background information.. I am Sure that it isn't like that on your side.. but our Pet shops don't always have the information needed.. The only way is getting it directly from a proven breeder..

Also One Quick Question whats the Biggest Female corn anyone has had.. I have had a few.. but i have never had a female this large..

Old 12-10-2012, 06:51 AM   #4
Susan
Your new addition looks like an anery (silver) to me as well. While there are some nice dark charcoals, I don't think I have seen one that is as black as your snake. I don't see that many anerys that black either, so you did get a very nice find!

As for size, the largest female I have personally owned has been just a few grams shy of 500 grams just before being bred. And I'm sure there are quite a few larger females out there.

And I don't think your pet shops are any worse than ours...mostly staffed by the incompetent and the ignorant.

Old 12-10-2012, 06:58 AM   #5
ryuu
Thank you. I do agree.. Regardless of what she is.. She looks great. and I haven't weighed her.. But im sure shes heaver then 500gr. Will Let you guys know the exact measurements and weights.. later on.. I'm at Work currently

Old 12-10-2012, 10:41 AM   #6
hypnoctopus
She's really pretty!

The store I work at is originally from South Africa.

Old 12-10-2012, 03:04 PM   #7
ryuu
Quote:
Originally Posted by hypnoctopus View Post
She's really pretty!

The store I work at is originally from South Africa.
Oh awesome..!

If it wasn't for family and my fiance I would have moved a long time ago.. Don't enjoy South Africa much...

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! Cornsnakes.com is the largest online community dedicated to cornsnakes . Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!

Google