CornSnakes.com Forums  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLinks ads? Register and log in!

Go Back   CornSnakes.com Forums > The CornSnake Forums > Husbandry and Basic Care
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Notices

Husbandry and Basic Care General stuff about keeping and maintaining cornsnakes in captivity.

Advice on first feed/handlingfor new snake

Old 07-11-2004, 06:31 PM   #11
LawrenceM
Thanks for the compliments

I hope my snake doesn't get a big ego. I'm glad to hear that John's experience with Okeetees has been positive. As far as a name goes, I'm working on it now. I'm leaning toward a native American Indian name - because I think the Indians artistic style is heavy influenced by nature and our native corns, particularly the okeetee colors. But I don't have any specific ideas yet. Let me know if any of you do. I will update you throughout the year with photos. I think his color will go through many changes before he arrives at his final look. Kathy has been breeding Okeetees for so long it will be very interesting to see what he winds up looking like. I am currently defrosting his first home meal (tears of joy)

Old 07-11-2004, 09:07 PM   #12
LawrenceM
feeding

Went well. He is digesting his meal. He (a male okeetee) is going to be a big snake. I placed him in a separate feeding container with the mouse. Then put the tiny container (with the snake and mouse) back into his tank. He ate in peace as we, the family went out for chinese food. There is an irony in there somewhere. When I came back, the mouse was in his belly. I opened the top of the feeding container and left him alone. He slithered out of out and back into the tank. It worked like a dream. I didn't want to handle him at all after eating so as to avoid any danger of regurgitation. Thank again for everyone's input. I kind of mixed and matched the advice to arrive at this method. I can just tell he is going to grow very quickly and be a big snake.

Old 07-12-2004, 04:55 PM   #13
Jak the Snake
That's a really cool looking snake. Glad to see everything is going well. I got our family's first snake a year ago and Jake is doing great. Most of the people here have helped me out with all my questions and Jake has been great. Before, I was afraid of snakes and my 4 year old daughter, at the time, was intrigued by them. I never thought I would ever like snakes or have one and I made a bet with her that if she could learn to tie her shoe's and learn her left from right, and if she still wanted a snake we would research it together and what a great bonding experience it has been. Good luck with yours.

Old 07-12-2004, 04:57 PM   #14
MegF.
What a great way to spend some quality time with your daughter. It's seems to have benefitted both of you!

Old 07-13-2004, 05:59 PM   #15
Jak the Snake
Yeah it has been great. She will now be turning 6 this August and is always there to help feed, clean the tank and hold him. Now my 2 year old son is really interested with him but he o nly gets to pet his tail till he is older.

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! Cornsnakes.com is the largest online community dedicated to cornsnakes . Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!

Google