CornSnakes.com Forums  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLinks ads? Register and log in!

Go Back   CornSnakes.com Forums > Administrative > Discussions about this site
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

Discussions about this site How is this site doing? Any suggestions to make? This is the forum to talk about this website in general.

Issues with chat room

Old 11-18-2014, 05:26 PM   #51
MegF.
I'm sure it is illegal to shoot a drone or an Amazon drone but I guaran-darn-tee that some redneck in the woods will at some point shoot a drone showing up in his yard. Besides, it's Rich, not a business or government drone...just some guy spyin' on me! I can't imagine someone shooting down anything if it wasn't over their property....well, I can imagine it, but I wouldn't think about shooting something down over my neighbor's property....they can take care of their own stuff....however, you fly your little spy copter over my farm and I might just play trap shoot.....

Old 11-19-2014, 03:15 AM   #52
Rich Z
Quote:
Originally Posted by MegF. View Post
I'm sure it is illegal to shoot a drone or an Amazon drone but I guaran-darn-tee that some redneck in the woods will at some point shoot a drone showing up in his yard. Besides, it's Rich, not a business or government drone...just some guy spyin' on me! I can't imagine someone shooting down anything if it wasn't over their property....well, I can imagine it, but I wouldn't think about shooting something down over my neighbor's property....they can take care of their own stuff....however, you fly your little spy copter over my farm and I might just play trap shoot.....
It will still be private property being destroyed. And although I won't like drones flying over my property, I doubt I could make a convincing argument before a court that I had justification for shooting it down because I felt I had secrets that such a device would be spying upon that I needed to make every effort to keep secret.

I expect that sooner or later this issue will make some interesting court cases. Remember in most cases those things are recording video and in some cases there recording takes place at the controller and not at the drone. That there is known as "evidence" in court lingo. Someone flying a drone OVER your property to get to somewhere else probably won't be a viable reason for you to shoot it down. And some of these things have a range of a mile or better, so it might behoove you to check to see where your rights end and someone else's begins.

Sure would hate to hear of someone shooting down a drone that was owned by some pissed off person with a .50BMG rifle who could lob 850 grain projectiles a good 4 miles away if the trial doesn't go their way.

Old 11-19-2014, 07:29 AM   #53
MegF.
But you gotta admit......shooting one down would be fun.....the ultimate trap shoot....just sayin'

Old 11-19-2014, 03:34 PM   #54
Rich Z
Actually unless the operator knows you are shooting at it and taking evasive maneuvers, or it is on it's way to somewhere else and in a hurry, they will be very easy targets as long as they aren't real high up. A 12 gauge should easily be up to the task even with bird shot.

Generally speaking I would likely fly around 150 to 250 feet up unless I was over some geological feature that warranted being closer to. Heck, I have trees 70 ft. tall and better on my property that I would need to clear anyway. The wide angled lenses on these things are for WIDE ANGLE views to take in as much of the scenery as possible. Even closer to the ground the wide angle lens is there so that collision avoidance will be easier. Side swiping a tree or branch will likely bust a propeller and at least put the quad into an uncontrolled tumble to the ground. There have been accounts of geese attacking these things, so it's probably a good idea to yaw the camera every now and again to take a 360 look around.

I can't speak for government use of these things, but from a hobbyist perspective they certainly were not designed for spying on the neighbors. Heck, for that matter, I'm pretty sure the government can see anything they want in your yard with their satellites. What we can see with Google Earth is likely just exposing a fraction of the true capabilities of those satellite cameras.

Old 11-19-2014, 03:37 PM   #55
Nanci
So maybe we should try to have an informal, scheduled chat, like Friday or Saturday evenings? Early enough that the east-coasters are still awake? For those of us with plenty of free time?

Old 11-19-2014, 04:40 PM   #56
Rich Z
Sure. If you want me to create a section where scheduled chats can be announced and perhaps even transcripts posted, just let me know.

But is the current chat system stable enough to expect that most people will be able to access it?

Old 11-19-2014, 06:13 PM   #57
Nanci
Okay- I'm in chat right now! Hit me up!! I'll keep an eye on it till it's time for Survivor...

Old 11-20-2014, 12:11 AM   #58
MegF.
Made it in there now...too bad I missed you Nanci!

Old 11-20-2014, 05:21 AM   #59
Nanci
By midnight- I've been asleep for three hours!

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! Cornsnakes.com is the largest online community dedicated to cornsnakes . Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!

Google