CornSnakes.com Forums  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLinks ads? Register and log in!

Go Back   CornSnakes.com Forums > Administrative > Discussions about this site
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

Discussions about this site How is this site doing? Any suggestions to make? This is the forum to talk about this website in general.

Issues with chat room

Old 11-16-2014, 11:06 AM   #31
MegF.
I don't know. It used to be really active, but then it got so you got kicked off constantly and couldn't get back on without logging off the entire site and then back in....might have put people off trying......

Old 11-16-2014, 12:58 PM   #32
Rich Z
Well perhaps the product was failing from successive updates to supporting software on the server, and that is why the developer just abandoned the product.

I checked back to see how many times someone has brought up issues with the chat system, and from what I can see, not many.

So I guess that this answers my question then: Not enough interest in using a chat to make pursuing a replacement effort worthwhile. Interestingly enough I asked my programmer about a replacement chat program and he said that I am the only one of his clients still using a chat. Everyone else, even on his own sites, has dropped that function.

Sooo, I guess "chat" is just something that has faded into history for the internet. And from the looks of things, probably just a matter of time before the "forum" structure and utilization follows the same route. Participation and Contributor memberships have been steadily falling here, so the writing appears to be on the wall. Facebook (you WILL be assimilated!) is taking over the internet, it appears. But when that happens, I guess I, personally, go offline for good.

Old 11-16-2014, 02:36 PM   #33
MegF.
Resistance is futile!!

Old 11-16-2014, 02:53 PM   #34
Nanci
The problem with Facebook, and why I believe forums will always have a place, is because Facebook is not searchable. If I want to see a photo of a lava stripe, I can come here and search it. Can't do that on Facebook.

I have proposed to Rich Z the idea of a chat box at the top of the home page, like some other forums have. I guess it wouldn't be _exactly_ like chat, because it would be quite public, and you couldn't talk about 18+ stuff...I don't know, I think it would be a nice way to have live banter, or for urgent questions to get immediate attention. I think it might help people get to know each other better. Talking about snakes and other interests.

Old 11-16-2014, 03:03 PM   #35
Tavia
And information disappears on FB as well. Like I asked a House snake group for an explanation of the difference between T- and T+ Albino and got some great responses but unfortunately I didn't think to screen shot them and now want to refresh myself on what was said but it was over 6 months ago and so no longer exists on FB. As long as there are some knowledgeable people willing to answer questions on a forum and the atmosphere is friendly, a forum is always going to beat out a social media site, IMO, for learning things. But maybe I'm old fashioned as well ...

Old 11-16-2014, 10:58 PM   #36
cornsnakeforsale_com
Facebook is stupid, that's why we're here.

And not to be overly blunt, but... perhaps activity is down here partially because a lack of offering the features your users want (though, yes I agree that the Facebooks of the world are trying to kill the internet).

Old 11-17-2014, 12:03 AM   #37
KvanAalten
I agree, Facebook is not the place for lots of information. It's hard to search and honestly there are some bad people in the groups who ruin it for others :/ If I need a quick answer I post it on Facebook or send a PM to someone who might know. Otherwise I just ask here. Also a great example, Steve posts all his snakebabies on here and facebook. On facebook I miss most but on here I can look back easily. I don't think forums will die that easily unless Facebook actually creates a forum like page that keeps all info..

Old 11-17-2014, 05:19 AM   #38
Nanci
Quote:
Originally Posted by cornsnakeforsale_com View Post
Facebook is stupid, that's why we're here.

And not to be overly blunt, but... perhaps activity is down here partially because a lack of offering the features your users want (though, yes I agree that the Facebooks of the world are trying to kill the internet).

Like what?

We have Tapatalk now- I love that! You can see how many people use it.

I don't think people really use Groups.

What else is there?

I think this has always been the most visually appealing, nicely laid out, easy to navigate forum out there.

Old 11-17-2014, 10:47 AM   #39
daddio207
Facebook does have a lot of uses beyond the "stupid" aspects of it. I use the "I don't want to see this" option A LOT ! I'm in a number of Groups. Some are slow while others are extremely active. I use FB mainly for Herp related connections.
As forums go, this is a great forum along with Faunaclassifieds.com and a couple of others. Before I actually joined and started posting I only used these forums for the Herps for sale. I started posting here because I liked the friendly atmosphere unlike FB groups where some people go out of their way to be jerks.
CS.com seemingly has little activity at times but just the stats taken off the bottom at this moment says different. Our perspective is relative to when your on.
Number of Members Online In The Past 24 Hours: 221
160 posts in the last 24 hours, 3,781 posts in the last 30 days.

Those stats are pretty good IMO considering the thousands of forums and FB groups available.

Old 11-17-2014, 05:24 PM   #40
Rich Z
Quote:
Originally Posted by cornsnakeforsale_com View Post
And not to be overly blunt, but... perhaps activity is down here partially because a lack of offering the features your users want.
Which are????

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! Cornsnakes.com is the largest online community dedicated to cornsnakes . Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!

Google