CornSnakes.com Forums  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLinks ads? Register and log in!

Go Back   CornSnakes.com Forums > Administrative > Discussions about this site
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

Discussions about this site How is this site doing? Any suggestions to make? This is the forum to talk about this website in general.

Personal forums and PayPal payments.

Old 02-23-2016, 02:16 PM   #11
Dragonling
It seems to catch some, but most groups are private and so you don't get results. In that way, I find Facebook to be far inferior to forums for exactly the reasons you mentioned. It's great for small time breeders to use of that don't have the time or money to mess with a website, and nice for sharing photos of your animals with other like minded individuals, and even free advertising, but it's not a great place for actual discussion.

Old 02-23-2016, 02:33 PM   #12
Tavia
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rich Z View Post
Does Google even parse Facebook pages via their search engine spiders? I can't recall EVER searching for something and having a hit provided to anything on FaceBook.

With the little experience I have had with FaceBook, it seems great for casual conversations between family, friends, and acquaintances, moment by moment , but as for actually being a repository of information and knowledge that can be searched and researched, I didn't get that impression of usefulness there. But perhaps I am just missing something because of my own lack of experience there. Which, I will be perfectly honest, I will likely never try to improve on. The format there reminds me of the old Usenet days of the internet, and I would like to think forum sites were quite a step up from that time. But obviously I seem to be in the minority in that regard.
Very much this!
The only thing FB has going for it in discussions or even just sharing pictures, is instant gratification. It is faster moving. Ask a question, you are likely to get at least one answer within 10 minutes or so. I share a picture to say, 5 of the groups I frequent, on average, in 24 hours I will get upwards of 170 "likes" and 3 to 10 comments. Share the same pictures to the 4 forums I use and I'll get 2 to 5 comments on them in the same time frame, all forums combined.

However, the general knowledge in most FB groups tends to be lower than on dedicated forums, in my experience. Searching is nearly impossible, any really great discussions are quickly buried and slip away, never to be seen again, so it's much harder to actually learn anything from a group unless you happened to see the discussion as it happened. Think answering the same, basic, questions on forums like this is tiring? Times that by 100000000 on FB groups and it's easy to see why the general knowledge base is lower, those that know the most are completely worn out from answering those questions, so it's left to those newbies with more energy that may or may not actually know the answer.

FB does work quite decently for a business alternative to an actual website though.

Old 02-23-2016, 02:49 PM   #13
DLena
I am an extremely low-tech person. I don't do social media, except for this site. I've had to learn a bit to work this site, but everyone has been at least cordial, and some absolutely friendly, and the help is appreciated. New people need this site; we fall in love with a corn and need all the support your experience can give to do right by the little guys. I'm sure it's hard work to maintain this site; please know you are very appreciated.

Old 02-23-2016, 04:20 PM   #14
Rich Z
I guess all I can promise is that this site will be around as long as it makes sense to keep it. Well, that, or I die suddenly without warning. I don't think Connie could keep all this running.

I keep track of the stats here in various ways, one of which is through my FaunaTopSites listing. You can see the stats of this site here -> http://www.faunatopsites.com/index.php?a=stats&u=12

Take a look at the HIGHEST and then what we are currently getting concerning raw site views.

Highest / Yesterday
Daily - 31,268 / 2,648
Weekly - 189,358 / 17,802
Monthly - 770,365 / 64,639

Looks pretty grim to me. In the heyday of this site, I thought that there was absolutely no reason why this site won't continue to grow and prosper and no reason at all why it wouldn't basically stay around forever. But when I see stats like above, well, obviously I was being overly optimistic.

Many people have apparently lost interest in this site and just found other places to frequent more to their liking, or just lost interest in the topic matter itself and moved on to other interests completely. From my perspective, apparently I have made mistakes running this site if the former is the case, and not much I can do about the latter at all.

Heck, I know I'm not perfect, so nothing I have ever done is perfect neither. In some ways I feel like a bonafide dinosaur. For instance I have restrictions against profanity on all the sites I run. But heck, I watch TV series on Netflix and buy movies that have language that I wouldn't expect to hear anywhere I would tend to frequent. So am I just flat out wrong and out of step with the world of today? I guess with facebook, everyone can have their own pages and say whatever the heck they want without any sanctions about it. Perhaps that is more in line with what people want these days. So that is a big part of the attraction there. So perhaps my mistakes have been to run sites how I would like them to be, and not what the majority of the people really WANT. Oh well. I would like to think I'm not too old to change, but there certainly would be things that I would have a tough time swallowing if I needed to take some of those bitter pills.

Old 02-23-2016, 05:03 PM   #15
Rich Z
Just out of curiosity, I took a look at the posting stats for this site since January, 2010. Here is what that looks like.

Old 02-23-2016, 06:11 PM   #16
DollysMom
I may be prejudiced, but I don't think it is anything you have done or are doing, Rich. IMHO your rules are totally reasonable. This is the best forum I've ever been on, and I started out with BBSs and Compuserve using a 300 baud modem.

I found this site by Googling my corn snake questions. It came up over and over again. There is no doubt in my mind that this site contains the most information and is the best community about corn snakes in English, and I'd bet anywhere in the world.

This site is far superior to Facebook in all the ways that have been mentioned. Again, many, many thanks.

Old 02-23-2016, 07:18 PM   #17
Dragonling
I would guess a fair chunk of the reduction in views is from various groups splintering off. How many corn-dedicated websites existed in 2010 vs. now? Facebook is probably still the main culprit though...groups and personal pages (as opposed to personal profiles) have become significantly more prevalent than they were in previous years, and they're just easier for the average person to deal with. Newer generations are also growing up using Facebook, something I and older generations didn't have until we were in college or later.

Old 02-24-2016, 01:34 AM   #18
Rich Z
Anyway, I checked some of the current personal forum owners and there is one who has not even been back to this site September of 2014. Was it right for me to keep on taking that PayPal payment every year just because it was still set up? Maybe this person still wanted to support the site? Maybe it was just forgotten about? Beats me, but along with me getting slapped with a bogus charge from PayPal by a member here, I just didn't want to leave myself open to another one. It just pisses me off and disappoints me about people all at the same time, I guess.

Old 02-24-2016, 08:49 AM   #19
Nanci
What do the posting stats for Fauna look like, for the same time period?

Wow- I had no idea it was that bad.

Old 02-24-2016, 12:44 PM   #20
Rich Z
Here are the posting stats for FaunaClassifieds for the same time period.

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! Cornsnakes.com is the largest online community dedicated to cornsnakes . Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!

Google