CornSnakes.com Forums  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLinks ads? Register and log in!

Go Back   CornSnakes.com Forums > Administrative > Discussions about this site
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

Discussions about this site How is this site doing? Any suggestions to make? This is the forum to talk about this website in general.

Come back, people!

Old 06-13-2018, 11:25 AM   #91
Twolunger
Quote:
Originally Posted by Frank Pinello View Post
Never thought about it but I guess I do like the lighter morphs. However early on many years ago I was really into Miami phase corns. Back in the 80s and 90s I would herped for and preferred the grey / brown back ground colors against the red/orange blotches down here in south Florida. Then in the 2000s started purchasing some at shows and bred them into my "wild" stock and had a collection of really nice Miami phase and candy canes. Started adding hypo and ultra to them about the time I sold them off. Your right, I guess I was starting to lighten them up.

Most of my corns I have now are young, only 4 I consider breeding size this year.
What's in your collection?
When my son sold his pet shop and moved to Atlanta he couldn't sell corns there, so offered me any of his breeders. I told him to sell his breeders and make some money, but I would take young holdbacks, so that's what we did. I don't remember exactly how many I took, but I'd guess there were 8 tesseras, and 8 others. Only 2 of the corns weren't dark colors, so I only kept a few of the originals and gradually replaced them with colors I like.

Adults

1.0 Normal stripe het amel & anery
1.0 Normal het sunkissed lavender amel
1.0 Upper Keys caramel bloodred het amel
1.0 Hypo lavender het caramel bloodred
0.1 Amaretto het bloodred
0.1 Amel motley het lavender stripe
0.1 Stripe ultramel het lavender
0.1 Ultramel charcoal het bloodred anery
0.1 Ghost tessera het for 4 or 5 recessive genes
0.1 Anery het for hypo motley charcoal maybe more
0.1 Anery sister to other anery

2016 new additions
2.0 Strawberry het amel anery bloodred
1.4 Lavender
1.2 Coral ghost
1.2 Sunkissed

Also have a young pair of apricot pueblans that I couldn't resist.

Old 06-13-2018, 01:09 PM   #92
Dragonling
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rich Z View Post
One group of projects I really hated to terminate when I decided retire was when I was getting some really interesting results combining the various combinations of hypo and similar "lightening" genetic agents. They appeared to be all cumulative in nature, and the results I was beginning to see were very exciting. But alas, all those projects were lost and the stock dispersed to the winds.

Projects with goals of triple and quadruple homozygous animals was such a pain to even contemplate, however, so I guess most people just don't have the time, resources, and patience for that sort of thing. Well, that, and "hypo" was always such a headache to me for all the curve balls it would throw my way. I'm sure others have found that out by now, too.
I like the mixing of hypo-types, as well as other lighter morphs, for the same reason. 4+ gene mutants is one of my higher priorities with many of my projects, though I think once you get too far in, you just end up producing a bunch of off-white animals that are nearly impossible to identify. I've got a LOT of snakes carrying a mix of Strawberry, Lavender, Lava, Diffused, and Caramel, as well as a Lava Tessera pair with 5 possible hets. I hatched project classics het SK Diffused Topaz ph Hypo Lavender Anery Motley this year. For some multi-gene combos that have already existed for some time, I'm hoping to improve the color with the addition of RF, RC, and other enhancers.

But yeah, "Hypo"...oof. I'm only still using the term Strawberry for my stuff because that's what that line was sold as years ago. I'm not convinced it isn't just Hypo A.

Old 06-13-2018, 02:59 PM   #93
Rich Z
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dragonling View Post
I like the mixing of hypo-types, as well as other lighter morphs, for the same reason. 4+ gene mutants is one of my higher priorities with many of my projects, though I think once you get too far in, you just end up producing a bunch of off-white animals that are nearly impossible to identify. I've got a LOT of snakes carrying a mix of Strawberry, Lavender, Lava, Diffused, and Caramel, as well as a Lava Tessera pair with 5 possible hets. I hatched project classics het SK Diffused Topaz ph Hypo Lavender Anery Motley this year. For some multi-gene combos that have already existed for some time, I'm hoping to improve the color with the addition of RF, RC, and other enhancers.

But yeah, "Hypo"...oof. I'm only still using the term Strawberry for my stuff because that's what that line was sold as years ago. I'm not convinced it isn't just Hypo A.
Yeah, you touch on another reason I was relieved to retire. The problem with being able to accurately identify what the heck was hatching out of those multi-gene clutches. I could foresee a time when the labels I would print up for each animal would be nothing but question marks. Of course people would want to know the possibilities based on the ancestry, so I could see where things were going to be VERY messy trying to sell anything and be conscientious about properly identifying the animals.

The chances of one animal in a pair being the same flavor of hypo as the mate was getting to be VERY slim. Heck I had uncountable times I bred a hypo something to another hypo something and came out with zero hypo offspring. Drove me nuts.

Old 06-13-2018, 11:12 PM   #94
Frank Pinello
Really Nice collection Twolunger. Let me know if you ever want to sell or trade some hatchlings.

Old 06-14-2018, 09:51 AM   #95
Twolunger
Quote:
Originally Posted by Frank Pinello View Post
Really Nice collection Twolunger. Let me know if you ever want to sell or trade some hatchlings.
I didn't count the number of eggs in my incubator, but they should start hatching at the end of the month. I'll tell you what hatches. Those anery females and the tessera have so many recessive genes that I never know what will hatch. The hatchlings from the het sunkissed lavender male mated to the amel motley female were awesome last year, but I can't keep everything.

Old 12-09-2019, 05:54 PM   #96
Rich Z
Well, you all certainly aren't giving me a heck of a lot of incentive to keep this site up and running....

Old 12-09-2019, 08:20 PM   #97
MysticExotics
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rich Z View Post
Well, you all certainly aren't giving me a heck of a lot of incentive to keep this site up and running....
I have mentioned before that couple of us are more than happy to take it over an keep it running, if/when you decide it is no longer worth it to you.

Old 12-20-2019, 10:55 AM   #98
Eremita
Old user thoughts

Well, it was mouse-order time, needed a new source and wound up here and saw this thread.

I had started out here trying to learn everything I could about proper corn snake care, learned lots and had entertaining conversations and some good spats. But I was happy with one normal (albeit Okeetee) unlike most users, and the folks I got to know left themselves or even died (RIP Mike). Over time I drifted off, still think of this as a reliable source for trusted info (depending on the source of course).

I've still got Clyde, I'd take a picture but he's in his tube as usual, in great health at 13 now although he lost the very end of his tail while we were helping (?) him after a bad shed. I'm pretty sure he's over 6 feet long at this point.

If this site is retired, I would understand although it would be sad and mean a terrible loss of valuable information. I'd buy a site archive if that were to come, even with all the pictures missing.

Thanks for everything Rich! And Happy Holidays to the folks here.

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! Cornsnakes.com is the largest online community dedicated to cornsnakes . Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!

Google