CornSnakes.com Forums  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLinks ads? Register and log in!

Go Back   CornSnakes.com Forums > Administrative > Discussions about this site
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

Discussions about this site How is this site doing? Any suggestions to make? This is the forum to talk about this website in general.

Come back, people!

Old 05-01-2017, 12:34 AM   #41
MysticExotics
I don't think either of those two would be missed much. I don't know that I have ever looked at either of them, Rich.

Old 05-17-2017, 12:31 AM   #42
Tavia
I expect that I will be posting a lot more ads and things on this forum come hatching season, especially with FB aping Craigslist on their rules. Who knows, might even end up with my personal forum here as my primary "website" if they decide to start cracking down on Business Pages selling animals and not just in the Market Place.

Old 05-17-2017, 04:02 AM   #43
albertagirl
I just wanted to throw in my 2 cents. First of all, I hate facebook. I went on the site once, and it took me about 5 minutes to remember why I dislike people as a general rule. LOL.
When I first got my snakes, I searched the entire internet and this was literally the best forum I found. However, as I got the hang of things, and learned all the right terminology, I got better and better at finding what I wanted by searching rather than posting and asking. Practically every question about corns specifically has been asked and answered, and I personally find it kind of annoying when people ask before they search, so I definitely didn't want to do that to you guys! But every time I have a question, this is the first place I look for answers.
I currently have a few questions/troubles with my house snake, but since I haven't been posting about my corn snakes, I feel like a douche logging in to CORNsnakes.com to ask about my housie, even though I know you guys can no doubt help me. But I don't know what I would have done without this forum in the beginning, and it makes me really sad to think that this community might not still be here in the future.
Those statistics were shocking though, and I can see why the future of the forum is not looking so good.

Old 05-17-2017, 04:17 AM   #44
DollysMom
As far as I'm concerned more activity the better. Ask about your housies. There is a forum here where you can do that and there certainly is a little housie community that hangs out here, Albertagirl.

I am guilty of not being as active lately. I have pictures and updates on all my snakes that I need to post.

Old 08-01-2017, 10:30 AM   #45
turkeytim
I find myself straying away because of facebook seems like its the instant gratification over the hunt that tempted me away. Back to the forum it is. So many more people involved here that stay under the social radar.

Old 08-01-2017, 05:02 PM   #46
Reptile Lover 23
Quote:
Originally Posted by turkeytim View Post
I find myself straying away because of facebook seems like its the instant gratification over the hunt that tempted me away. Back to the forum it is. So many more people involved here that stay under the social radar.
good to hear, welcome back

Old 08-01-2017, 08:19 PM   #47
DollysMom
I'll second that. Welcome back.

Old 08-07-2017, 09:01 PM   #48
Rich Z
Well, I am looking at doing a server migration right now. Doesn't make sense for me to continue paying for two servers any longer. So I took a look at the stats here. Only 11 posts made in the past 24 hours. Tsk, tsk... And there are only 18 remaining Contributor level members, and only 4 with personal forums. If this site were on it's own server, there would be no question about it going away. But sharing space with FaunaClassifieds on the server helps to keep this site at least looking like it is operating in the black. Especially with me dropping the expense of one server real soon.

I had a couple of people contribute rather recently, so I guess I'm committed to keeping the site running for at least one year from the last contribution. At that time (which will roughly be August 1 of next year) I will re-evaluate things, and see how the disk space and server loading in the new server is holding up, and decide what to do at that time. If server stats look OK, then no problem, I don't mind keeping this site running for the few people who still stop in here. But if I decide that dropping this site is prudent and reasonable, as it will begin costing me money to keep it running, the first thing I will do is to disable the contributor member payment option. Then the countdown starts for 1 year from the last payment received.

I am already dropping one of my other sites, which helped keep this site still on the table. That other site never went anywhere, and really just taking up what valuable server real estate needlessly. So the belt tightening is starting, I guess.

I am sorry I have not been able to keep this site interesting enough for you all since I retired from the business. I had hoped it had enough critical mass with the membership level we had at that time to continue, regardless, but looks like I was wrong.

Old 08-08-2017, 03:36 PM   #49
Reptile Lover 23
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rich Z View Post
Well, I am looking at doing a server migration right now. Doesn't make sense for me to continue paying for two servers any longer. So I took a look at the stats here. Only 11 posts made in the past 24 hours. Tsk, tsk... And there are only 18 remaining Contributor level members, and only 4 with personal forums. If this site were on it's own server, there would be no question about it going away. But sharing space with FaunaClassifieds on the server helps to keep this site at least looking like it is operating in the black. Especially with me dropping the expense of one server real soon.

I had a couple of people contribute rather recently, so I guess I'm committed to keeping the site running for at least one year from the last contribution. At that time (which will roughly be August 1 of next year) I will re-evaluate things, and see how the disk space and server loading in the new server is holding up, and decide what to do at that time. If server stats look OK, then no problem, I don't mind keeping this site running for the few people who still stop in here. But if I decide that dropping this site is prudent and reasonable, as it will begin costing me money to keep it running, the first thing I will do is to disable the contributor member payment option. Then the countdown starts for 1 year from the last payment received.

I am already dropping one of my other sites, which helped keep this site still on the table. That other site never went anywhere, and really just taking up what valuable server real estate needlessly. So the belt tightening is starting, I guess.

I am sorry I have not been able to keep this site interesting enough for you all since I retired from the business. I had hoped it had enough critical mass with the membership level we had at that time to continue, regardless, but looks like I was wrong.
I would just like to say this site is interesting too mee and i would love tobe able to afford to put an advert on the fauna classifields, but with having my own site to pay for and all my reptiles, at this momment i cannot afford extra outgoings, im sure you will understand as your having the same problem with affording 2 servers.... how come you retired from the business if you dont mind me asking is it down to old age or lack of intresst...

(I hope this site stays i wish i could contribute!!!)

Old 08-09-2017, 01:58 AM   #50
Rich Z
Quote:
Originally Posted by Reptile Lover 23 View Post
I would just like to say this site is interesting too mee and i would love tobe able to afford to put an advert on the fauna classifields, but with having my own site to pay for and all my reptiles, at this momment i cannot afford extra outgoings, im sure you will understand as your having the same problem with affording 2 servers.... how come you retired from the business if you dont mind me asking is it down to old age or lack of intresst...

(I hope this site stays i wish i could contribute!!!)
Well, I guess the best way to describe the reason I decided to retire was because I didn't want to die before giving retirement a try. And I didn't want that to happen to Connie neither. We went many years without a vacation that was more that 2 days. Sick? Too bad, work needed to be done. I can remember going into the hospital with appendicitis during egg laying season and Connie had to leave me at the hospital so she could harvest eggs before they dried up. That was a wake up call to me. But I think I talked about this all at length in this thread if you are interested -> http://www.cornsnakes.com/forums/showthread.php?t=83979

I guess I still miss hatching season. That was always an exciting time of the year, albeit a backbreaking time. I can remember night after night standing at the work counter feeding as many baby snakes as I could before my back, legs, and feet would ache so bad that it brought tears to my eyes. But I just couldn't stop. Math was the killer. I had to take the total number of babies I had to feed, divided that by the number of days I needed in the schedule to feed them, and hoped I could pull enough 1 day old pinky mice out of the mouse building every night in order to meet the quota. Getting them onto frozen thawed was a VERY high priority. One year I produced 8,000 babies and I'll be honest, I almost did an emergency retirement that year. I have never had a nervous breakdown, but I do remember one day very clearly where the thought of just opening the door to the reptile building and go running out into the woods screaming seemed almost overwhelmingly attractive to me. That is when I decided to get some Valium and keep it in the den desk drawer. A quarter of a tablet was usually enough to keep me from the running and screaming stage.

Honestly, I am relieved to not have the pressure of live animals wanting to die unless Connie and I dedicated our lives to keep that from happening. And in the meantime, we have had time for family and friends, and they all got used to that. People just stopped inviting us to parties, because they knew we were too busy to attend. So now much of our family has passed away and friends have scattered to the winds. Sometimes I do have to wonder if it really was all worth it. I lost a lot of my life working with reptiles, and Connie followed along with me because, well, she is the most loyal person I have ever met. She would honestly and truly follow me directly into Hell if I decided that is where I wanted to go. I really could not put her through what she was doing to try to keep me from killing myself any longer.

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! Cornsnakes.com is the largest online community dedicated to cornsnakes . Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!

Google