CornSnakes.com Forums  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLinks ads? Register and log in!

Go Back   CornSnakes.com Forums > Administrative > Discussions about this site
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

Discussions about this site How is this site doing? Any suggestions to make? This is the forum to talk about this website in general.

Come back, people!

Old 02-27-2018, 11:57 AM   #61
Rich Z
Quote:
Originally Posted by demonss View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rich Z View Post
I still have nightmares where I will walk into the reptile building and discover a door to a room I had forgotten about. And when I walk into that room, it is filled with cages of dead snakes that I had simply forgotten about and they all died from neglect. That gives me cold sweats just thinking about the dream.
Rich, a couple years ago I walked into my reptile room just to find my breaker had tripped and shut off power to the whole room. I lost everything, I was absolutely destroyed, that's why I haven't been back on here or fauna till now, I didn't think I would ever keep snakes again. Honestly (no sucking up here I swear) If it wasn't for you and this wonderful community I wouldn't be starting my collection again. From the bottom of my heart, thank you.
Hope things pull back together for you. Stuff like that can really knock the wind out of your sails. I remember we did a show up in Maryland, and at the time I was setting up a display tank on my tables displaying all the finest adult examples of all the different corn snake cultivars I was working with. Well, evidently I really screwed up and put too many snakes in the box for that two day trip, or didn't have enough air holes, or something. Most of the adults I brought up with me were dead when I opened up the box to set them up. That was NOT a pleasant experience, let me tell you. So yes, definitely a horrible experience that is not soon, if ever, forgotten.

But time does seem to at least partially heal most wounds. So chin up, and keep on moving forward. What else can you do? NEVER GIVE UP, NEVER SURRENDER!

Old 02-28-2018, 07:39 PM   #62
ghosthousecorns
I still keep corns but life has had its ups and downs for me and it can be hard to still have as much passion and time to write about the hobby. I used to be here all the time and if you search the older posts my name will come up a bit, as I was a contributing member for years. I will be completely honest and I can handle if this gets taken the wrong way - it's actually the first time I have logged on in ages- but a lot of times the posts on this forum would get very political and it seemed like a lot of corn keepers and snake people in general, lean far to the right- and I kind of lean the other way- so at least on FB there is a little "unfollow" thing you can do if someones's politics opinion posts are just driving you nuts. I tend to be too much of an empath and absorb feelings from people even when I do not want to. Just being honest that this was a factor in my visits becoming less frequent. I still come to this site sometimes and look for old threads because it is more searchable than FB, FWIW

Old 03-01-2018, 05:31 AM   #63
Patmart
Hi it’s nice to see you back I’m a new snake keeper
For me I need people like you with your experience
I do hope you come back a stay with us
Welcome back
Pat

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Old 03-05-2018, 08:33 PM   #64
Rich Z
Quote:
Originally Posted by ghosthousecorns View Post
I still keep corns but life has had its ups and downs for me and it can be hard to still have as much passion and time to write about the hobby. I used to be here all the time and if you search the older posts my name will come up a bit, as I was a contributing member for years. I will be completely honest and I can handle if this gets taken the wrong way - it's actually the first time I have logged on in ages- but a lot of times the posts on this forum would get very political and it seemed like a lot of corn keepers and snake people in general, lean far to the right- and I kind of lean the other way- so at least on FB there is a little "unfollow" thing you can do if someones's politics opinion posts are just driving you nuts. I tend to be too much of an empath and absorb feelings from people even when I do not want to. Just being honest that this was a factor in my visits becoming less frequent. I still come to this site sometimes and look for old threads because it is more searchable than FB, FWIW
Pity... I've always felt that it is beneficial to allow yourself to be exposed to differing opinions so you don't get locked into believing only what you want to believe, likely based on limited exposure in the past to a broad range of sources of relevant and opposing information. Personally I rather welcome opinions that are presented in a logical and reasoned approach that differ from my own, since I freely admit that I don't know everything, and my own opinions might just be based on incomplete data input. Of course, that doesn't mean that someone saying the same thing over and over again, just using different terms, or more strenuously or vigorously will be providing the input needed to change my opinion. Emotion and fact deficient opinion doesn't sway me. Only facts and reason can do that.

Heck, if someone could present a convincing argument to me why firearms being in the hands of the general public is a real bad idea, I might even change my stance on that. However, for all the rhetoric that has been thrown around about this issue over my lifetime, I have yet to hear such a convincing argument from anyone.

So please don't limit yourself to exclusive exposure to opinions and statements that merely support your own prior developed convictions and beliefs. To remove yourself from an atmosphere where all sides are welcome to be expressed seems so, well, one sided and limited for personal growth to me. Life is way too short to not want to at least hear all sides of issues to have a balanced understanding of reality. Everything should be a learning experience. Even being wrong about something is a much better learning experience than being right. ESPECIALLY being wrong about something. So personally, I welcome discussions where someone is able to prove my beliefs wrong. Or at least give me something to think about to reconsider such beliefs.

I am sorry that such an atmosphere as what has been provided here is not attractive or of interest to you.

Old 03-06-2018, 07:06 AM   #65
Nanci
Not much politics going on here these days. That's okay.

Old 03-06-2018, 11:54 AM   #66
Rich Z
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nanci View Post
Not much politics going on here these days. That's okay.
Well, that is because there isn't much of ANYTHING going on here these days.

Here are the statistics showing new posts on a monthly basis for the past 3 years...

Old 03-06-2018, 12:06 PM   #67
Nanci
I saw on Facebook today that someone had a post removed because it had an image of a snake painting. That is how CRAZY Facebook has become about the not selling live animals rule. Can't have reptile art, even. Maybe the trend will reverse.

Old 03-06-2018, 12:29 PM   #68
Dragonling
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nanci View Post
I saw on Facebook today that someone had a post removed because it had an image of a snake painting. That is how CRAZY Facebook has become about the not selling live animals rule. Can't have reptile art, even. Maybe the trend will reverse.
I hope so. It's getting ridiculous. It won't be long before FB starts taking down pages too. I'm honestly a little surprised they haven't yet, considering how many crappy BYB kennel and cattery pages you can find. And don't get me started on the exotic bully postings.

Old 03-06-2018, 01:31 PM   #69
Rich Z
I don't know about Facebook, but I have heard that a lot of conservative based websites are having problems with censorship from left leaning content hosts. And from what I have read, Facebook in general does seem to lean in that direction.

Last time I looked it did appear that Facebook was trying to get a classifieds oriented offshoot business up and running, so my guess would be that in order to more heavily promote that venture, they would likely try to discourage people using regular pages and groups from selling on those platforms instead. And from what I have read of their rules and stipulations for using the classifieds platform, all animal sales are prohibited there.

So yeah, not sure what the future is going to be bringing. It could possibly just be that someone starts up a Facebook clone but without all the BS and restrictions. The problem, however, would be trying to overcome inertia. But I guess since the inertia this site had a few years hasn't seemed to help much here, I guess even Facebook going belly up because of poor management decisions would have to be a possibility.

Zuckerberg is obviously no genius. He is, in my opinion, just some suddenly and unexpectedly rich guy who thinks his new bucket loads of money equates to his being a genius.

Ah well, the tyrant fat child (the ONLY fat person in all of North Korea) Kim Jong-un will likely come to realize that suicide by lobbing a nuke high in the atmosphere over the USA is his only way of saving face, and push us all back into the stone age with an EMP, so it all won't matter anyway.

Old 03-15-2018, 02:41 AM   #70
insomniac101
I still log on from time to time, and do miss the heavy traffic this site used to have.

Since I can't stand the drama and weirdness of Farcebook, and I dont "tweet", I've been hanging out on Fauna more. Mostly just scanning the classifieds and BOI.

I will always keep my "first" snakes, no matter how boring, and un-cool that some people think cornsnakes are. I keep quite a variety of snakes, but find myself gravitating back to them.

Kathy

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! Cornsnakes.com is the largest online community dedicated to cornsnakes . Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!

Google