CornSnakes.com Forums  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLinks ads? Register and log in!

Go Back   CornSnakes.com Forums > Administrative > Discussions about this site
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

Discussions about this site How is this site doing? Any suggestions to make? This is the forum to talk about this website in general.

Server move! 09-20-2017 02:00am EST

Old 08-26-2017, 08:55 PM   #1
Rich Z
Exclamation Server move! 09-20-2017 02:00am EST

In case some of you missed the general announcement I posted earlier today.

Sometime over the next couple of days, I will be disabling access to this site so nothing gets lost in the transition to the new server. There would be a period, otherwise, where posts were being made here AFTER the site files had been copied over to the new server, and of course those posts would be lost once the site on the new server becomes active. So to prevent that from happening, I have to close down this site BEFORE the file copies can begin.

AGAIN, SOMETIME REAL SOON THIS SITE WILL BE CLOSED, AND REMAIN SO DURING THE MIGRATION TO THE NEW SERVER.

If you are in the process of creating a post, new thread, private email, etc. when I close down the site, they will all be lost. As soon as I have a firmer grip on exactly when this will take place, I will let you all know.

Sorry, there is no cleaner method of doing this.

Old 08-26-2017, 11:49 PM   #2
Rich Z
I will be shutting down this site for the server move around 3am EST. The move of FaunaClassifieds will start at midnight, and I'll likely be in bed when that finishes, so I don't want to hold up moving this site. Not all that much going on here anyway, so the site being down for a few extra hours isn't going to affect much.

Old 08-27-2017, 12:10 AM   #3
DLena
Thanks for taking such good care of us, Rich.

Old 08-27-2017, 10:46 AM   #4
Rich Z
Well, I wound up shutting down this site for nothing. The server guys had some trouble with the FaunaClassifieds migration, so they recommended putting off the rest of the migrations (including this site) till another day. I think maybe they had enough dealing with Fauna.

Oh well... I opened this site back up, but we are still on the old server here.

Old 08-27-2017, 01:36 PM   #5
DLena
That's okay. Is FC on the new server?

Old 08-27-2017, 02:15 PM   #6
Rich Z
Quote:
Originally Posted by DLena View Post
That's okay. Is FC on the new server?
Well, almost. The files have all been copied over, but seems to be some problems with the database they are trying to resolve. I had hoped this would go quicker, but it is what it is.

Old 08-27-2017, 02:21 PM   #7
DLena
It'll be really nice when all is said and done. Will everything work the same way or do I have to learn something new? (Scary thought).

Old 08-27-2017, 03:14 PM   #8
Rich Z
Quote:
Originally Posted by DLena View Post
It'll be really nice when all is said and done. Will everything work the same way or do I have to learn something new? (Scary thought).
No, there won't be any changes to the actual message boards. It's just that the sites will be on a different server in a different data center. Assuming they can get this to work, of course. Still having problems with FaunaClassifieds at the moment. I sure don't hope I don't have to abort this entire thing and be forced to stay on that old server for all eternity. Sooner or later all hardware breaks, and then where would I be? Well, involuntarily FULLY retired, I guess.

Old 08-27-2017, 03:30 PM   #9
DLena
No way can that be allowed to happen. You've brought so many nice people together. I miss all my snaky friends.

Old 08-27-2017, 03:44 PM   #10
Rich Z
Would someone here please try to get to FaunaClassifieds for me?

http://www.faunaclassifieds.com/forums/index.php

I want to make sure I don't have my IP address blocked by the new firewall. That has happened in the past.

You will likely just get a message that the site is shut down for the server move, but that would be an improvement over what I am seeing when I try to get there.

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! Cornsnakes.com is the largest online community dedicated to cornsnakes . Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!

Google