CornSnakes.com Forums  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLinks ads? Register and log in!

Go Back   CornSnakes.com Forums > Administrative > Discussions about this site
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

Discussions about this site How is this site doing? Any suggestions to make? This is the forum to talk about this website in general.

Personal forums discontinued.

Old 10-31-2017, 01:03 PM   #1
Rich Z
Personal forums discontinued.

As of today, I have decided to go ahead and cancel the personal forums option offered on this site. At least half of the people having their own forum here haven't even visited this site in months, and I strongly suspect they will not be renewing their forum anyway when it expires. So I can't see any sense in maintaining that section any longer. If the current owners of such forums want to move any of their threads to other sections of the site, I suggest they do that at their convenience. The forums will remain until at least the expiration date of each, but they can no longer be renewed, nor new ones accepted as of today.

While reviewing this issue, I also noticed that there are only 18 Contributor level members remaining here. So with that, along with the number of members who visit each day lately, I hear what you are all telling me concerning the desire to keep this site up and running.

Hey, it is what it is, I suppose. Perhaps my retiring from breeding cornsnakes was the death knell of this site, but I am sorry, I could not keep up that pace forever. Not without mine and Connie's health suffering as a result. So I made the only realistic choice that I could.

Old 10-31-2017, 01:11 PM   #2
MysticExotics
So the site is closing too?

I will work on moving my threads over. I wish there was a way to archive the info for reference.
There is a lot of good information here.

Old 10-31-2017, 01:23 PM   #3
Rich Z
Quote:
Originally Posted by MysticExotics View Post
So the site is closing too?
No, not in the immediate foreseeable future. But if Contributor level memberships drop down to nearly zero, advertisers for this site through my FaunaAds website become nearly zero as well, and google ad revenue zeros out because just not enough visitors here to click on the ads to generate some revenue, then what other choice do I have? Sorry, but I cannot spend my retirement savings and modest income on maintaining this online stuff.

This site has 27,956 registered members. In the last 24 hours, only 79 stopped by. So where are the other 27877 previous visitors to this site hanging out these days? And why there instead of here?

Old 10-31-2017, 01:27 PM   #4
MysticExotics
For me, it's mostly been busy with the dogs (now having three Belgian Malinois in house, keeps me pretty busy LOL), and not having any planned projects this past season. I have several next season.

Old 10-31-2017, 02:08 PM   #5
Outcast
Facebook has ruined forums as a whole. Along with issues I've observed in the past between groups of members, it's no wonder traffic has died down...
I don't come around much anymore (2 times I think in the past year, and that's only over the past couple of days) because traffic has died down so much. I miss the days when the forums were more active, and more entertaining. I think that this is probably the longest lived site I've ever been a part of. It will suck to see all the information available here just disappear into the depths of the web.

Old 10-31-2017, 06:33 PM   #6
Glenaerie
It does seem true that many online forums are shrinking in participation or have dissolved. It's a shame, because Facebook and the like are very poor substitutes. A forum is like a reference library containing a comfy place to chat and hang out and discuss shared interests. But Facebook, Tumblr, etc. are like standing at the end of your driveway while a line of individuals come down the sidewalk. Each walks past you one at a time, showing you a favorite photo, you look, maybe comment, and they continue on. Sometimes a knot of people go by, fighting with each other, and you watch, frustrated that the argument is about something that was resolved years ago.

Old 10-31-2017, 10:47 PM   #7
Rich Z
Never found any use for Facebook myself. I tried looking at a few pages, but there is just no flow or organization. I am generally looking for information, and Facebook just doesn't do it for me. If I want to be entertained, I will just watch YouTube videos, please and thank you.

So did people just stop wanting information about cornsnakes over the past couple of years? I know some people here used to always complain about new people asking the same old questions the last newbies asked, so I just can't see how that would have gotten better on Facebook with the lack of structure and archiving ability there.

Old 11-03-2017, 11:35 PM   #8
Buttons
I haven't logged in for a few years since I sold off all my snakes. Someone mentioned the forum to me today and I decided to check in tonight and see what's been happening here.

A lot of people are sticking to facebook. I mostly keep crested geckos now and even those forums are dying off and people have moved to facebook groups. The issue I have with FB groups is that it's much harder to find information. The search function is just horrible and it's always the same threads started day after day. I love forums but it's true, they're dying off due to facebook groups.

Old 11-03-2017, 11:39 PM   #9
Buttons
I also wanted to mention.. I posted about the BOI in a facebook group a few weeks back. Most had no idea about it and the few that did called it "a dinosaur of a website". Some said it was too confusing to even post. They'd rather stick to what they know and that's facebook. It's unfortunate.

Old 11-04-2017, 10:38 AM   #10
Nanci
Well, if everyone gives up, and our personal forums are taken away- I guess the end is inevitable.

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! Cornsnakes.com is the largest online community dedicated to cornsnakes . Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!

Google