CornSnakes.com Forums  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLinks ads? Register and log in!

Go Back   CornSnakes.com Forums > Administrative > Discussions about this site
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

Discussions about this site How is this site doing? Any suggestions to make? This is the forum to talk about this website in general.

Personal forums discontinued.

Old 11-19-2017, 05:19 PM   #21
Glenaerie
Just an observation over many years - in years past, kids and adults who were interested in something "unusual" (like pet snakes) had to read up on them in reference books, or in magazines. Chances are, no one around knew anything about the subject for an in-person discussion.

When the internet came along, we kind of treated it the same way, and used forums, etc. as a great source of conversation but also as a reference, keeping archives of valuable information so that people could easily look something up for themselves. Perhaps because we were used to dealing with reference books and continued with that as a model of how to store information.

But I think we've come to the point that people today don't really have to think in those terms any more, since the internet can just instantly give you an answer to your question about your obscure interest at any time. You have a snake question? Just ask it. They "should" tell you the answer right away!

Perhaps this is why we meet resistance when we point out search features, sticky sections, and links to Amazon for the best corn snake books.

Completely different from growing up feeling alone in your interests with no one to ask, and a need to seek out library books and write snail mail letters for information.

Old 11-20-2017, 02:50 PM   #22
Twolunger
I agree, the times have changed. I use the internet often, but don't accept the first answer I find. I may spend hours reading different opinions on a subject. Personally, I find it sad that kids don't seem to be interested in keeping pets anymore. My son sold his pet shop and told me that kids just don't come in anymore. In my area 6 pet shops closed within the past 5 or 6 years. I go into the large pet "supermarkets" to buy dog food and there's not a kid in sight. I go on Craig's List and check out the pets and see many ads that start out "bought for my son or daughter and they lost interest."

Old 11-20-2017, 04:47 PM   #23
Rich Z
Young people are growing up in a different world from what we older folks did. I watched this video a few days ago, and found it thought provoking...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MEVi_sntUDQ&t=1093s

Old 01-10-2018, 01:08 PM   #24
Kayota
I do not use Facebook much, I grew up with forums and prefer them. I joined here around 5 years ago and left because I sold the one snake I had, but now I have a corn snake again and I am very passionate about the species so I came back.

Old 01-10-2018, 03:35 PM   #25
Reptile Lover 23
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kayota View Post
I do not use Facebook much, I grew up with forums and prefer them. I joined here around 5 years ago and left because I sold the one snake I had, but now I have a corn snake again and I am very passionate about the species so I came back.
Good on you

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! Cornsnakes.com is the largest online community dedicated to cornsnakes . Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!

Google