CornSnakes.com Forums  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLinks ads? Register and log in!

Go Back   CornSnakes.com Forums > The CornSnake Forums > Husbandry and Basic Care
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Notices

Husbandry and Basic Care General stuff about keeping and maintaining cornsnakes in captivity.

accidentally got 2 snakes

Old 03-21-2019, 11:36 PM   #1
jckyeager
accidentally got 2 snakes

About a week ago i went a bought a little cornsnake petsmart and got him a tank, hides, heat mat, bowl, bedding but couldn’t find a thermostat to control the heat mat. I was okay with this because i had an IR thermometer and i ministered her temps very closely, at one point she disappeared forever so i bought a new okeetee corn and got him in there, that night i saw two snakes in there and discovered a hollow branch in one of her hides she could hold herself in, so now i’ve built a wooden enclosure for the new one and decided to keep both, but he won’t come out of the hollow tree and it’s impossible to reach in. he was due to eat wednesday and didn’t come out of the tree for it, although my first snake did eat it. his eyes were blueish when i bought him and i think it’s best to just wait him out but if he doesn’t eat for a few more days should i try and get him out? I also need a thermostat i can plug two heat mats into, do those exist or will i need two thermostats?

Old 03-22-2019, 10:13 AM   #2
Twolunger
Your corn is staying in the hide because he is getting ready to shed. Snakes seek protection when they are shedding and usually hide. You don't need to worry about him missing a meal. After shedding he will be hungry. You may want to increase the humidity by misting the tank a little so he can shed properly.

I am assuming you intend to separate the corns into two tanks and want one thermostat to control two heat mats or under tank heat pads. There are several thermostats that have dual output plugs. The expensive ones can handle a lot of wattage. I use an Ink Bird controller that has twp plugs. It's not expensive when ordered online. I have a more expensive Ranco that handles several rack systems. Monitor the temperatures for both heat pads.

Old 03-22-2019, 01:48 PM   #3
Dragonling
I bet I know the exact hide you're talking about. It's rather infamous.

When he comes out, I would fill that hollow bit with hot glue or aquarium sealant. If you use the latter make sure to give it a few days to cure fully and not stink anymore.

Old 03-22-2019, 03:28 PM   #4
Rich Z
If you plan to keep them together in the same cage, bear in mind that young corn snakes have been known to eat other corn snakes. It is not common, but it does happen.

You do need to be aware of that risk.

Old 03-22-2019, 03:49 PM   #5
jckyeager
I don’t plan on housing them together, i told myself i’d take the new one back to the store but i ended up building him a little enclosure.

Old 03-22-2019, 03:51 PM   #6
jckyeager
Quote:
Originally Posted by Twolunger View Post
Your corn is staying in the hide because he is getting ready to shed. Snakes seek protection when they are shedding and usually hide. You don't need to worry about him missing a meal. After shedding he will be hungry. You may want to increase the humidity by misting the tank a little so he can shed properly.

I am assuming you intend to separate the corns into two tanks and want one thermostat to control two heat mats or under tank heat pads. There are several thermostats that have dual output plugs. The expensive ones can handle a lot of wattage. I use an Ink Bird controller that has twp plugs. It's not expensive when ordered online. I have a more expensive Ranco that handles several rack systems. Monitor the temperatures for both heat pads.
okay good, the stats with more than one outlet seem to all be designed for one input to be for cooling and the other for heating, setting both of them on 85 would work fine then?

Old 03-22-2019, 05:11 PM   #7
Twolunger
The Ink Bird I use has outputs for heat only, but you can set a timed function if you prefer a lower temperature at night. I don't do that, I just set a temperature and both outputs are the same all day and night. It's a digital controller. Check out the Ink Bird ITC 306T. I was told about it by a friend who uses them to control heat cable for seedlings in a nursery. My corns don't like high temperatures, usually avoiding the warm side unless they have just fed. I don't have very deep substrate so set my warm side temps at 82-84.

Old 03-24-2019, 03:29 PM   #8
jckyeager
Quote:
The Ink Bird I use has outputs for heat only, but you can set a timed function if you prefer a lower temperature at night. I don't do that, I just set a temperature and both outputs are the same all day and night. It's a digital controller. Check out the Ink Bird ITC 306T. I was told about it by a friend who uses them to control heat cable for seedlings in a nursery. My corns don't like high temperatures, usually avoiding the warm side unless they have just fed. I don't have very deep substrate so set my warm side temps at 82-84.
i got the ITC-608T on my glass enclosure today and here’s my current temps: thermostat fluctuates between 84 and 89 degrees with the probe directly on the heat mat under 1-2” of aspen, actual readings with my IR gun have the substrate at 80 degrees directly above the heat mat(that’s when the mats at it’s hottest) down to 75 on the cool side. does everything sound okay or should i do more adjusting. both snakes are still reluctant to leave the tree branch.

Old 03-24-2019, 10:47 PM   #9
Twolunger
That is a greater heating differential than I set for mine. The default differential of my unit is only 2 degrees F, meaning if I set the temp for 85 and it drops to 83 the unit powers on.
If yours is adjustable I'd set it to 2 degrees. The menu code is DS1 on my unit. 80 degrees on top of the substrate is not too bad but I'd bump it up to between 82-84, unless the temp at the glass under the substrate is too hot. Corns do burrow under the substrate and I wouldn't want it hotter than 85 on the glass.

Don't expect the corns to leave the branch, especially the one going into a shed. It may be days before he sheds and comes out exploring. Then take the advice and seal that branch if you don't want him back in it.

Old 03-25-2019, 06:57 PM   #10
jckyeager
Quote:
That is a greater heating differential than I set for mine. The default differential of my unit is only 2 degrees F, meaning if I set the temp for 85 and it drops to 83 the unit powers on.
If yours is adjustable I'd set it to 2 degrees. The menu code is DS1 on my unit. 80 degrees on top of the substrate is not too bad but I'd bump it up to between 82-84, unless the temp at the glass under the substrate is too hot. Corns do burrow under the substrate and I wouldn't want it hotter than 85 on the glass.

Don't expect the corns to leave the branch, especially the one going into a shed. It may be days before he sheds and comes out exploring. Then take the advice and seal that branch if you don't want him back in it.
He shed today, he did it in the tree and is still in it, he should be hungry now and i’m hoping he’ll come out to take a pinky but what if the smell gets him in a feeding mode and he eats the other snake?

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! Cornsnakes.com is the largest online community dedicated to cornsnakes . Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!

Google