CornSnakes.com Forums  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLinks ads? Register and log in!

Go Back   CornSnakes.com Forums > Member Forums > Rich Z's Blatherings
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

Rich Z's Blatherings Since Connie and I have retired the SerpenCo business, topics here will focus on topics of a more personal and general nature.

Mostly hot and muggy with widely scattered yellow flies.

Old 05-05-2019, 04:04 PM   #1
Rich Z
Mostly hot and muggy with widely scattered yellow flies.

Yeah, it is yellow fly season around here again. I have to say that we really hate those SOBs. Probably more than any other pest I can think of that we have to deal with. Makes doing anything outside not only NOT fun, but often rather painful. Connie really welts up badly from their bites. I don't welt up, but the bite is still rather sharp and painful.

Connie and I had planned on a trip out west the middle of this month, but with my car in the shop and other compounding sound reasons, we decided to cancel out. Had hoped to be away from here when the yellow flies were at their peak, but that isn't going to happen.

I've got four Mosquito Magnets set up with flashing lights and wind motion devices to try to take care of the bulk of them. Hopefully that will work. Has worked pretty well in the past, anyway, but there are always going to be some that get in a bite or three, no matter what.

Old 05-05-2019, 08:57 PM   #2
Twolunger
We don't seem to have the yellow flies down here, but the love bugs are thick again and there's no rain to knock them down. Can barely see out of the windshield when you drive around. Saw 3 guys standing around their Harleys wondering what all the bugs are, since they trailered the bikes from up north to enjoy the Florida sun.

Old 05-05-2019, 09:15 PM   #3
Rich Z
Yeah, I would bet more than one biker wished that they had a windshield on their bike when traveling through a cloud of love bugs.... DON'T OPEN YOUR MOUTH WHILE RIDING!!

At least love bugs don't bite and are just a nuisance. If they bit like yellow flies do, I'm afraid I would have moved out of Florida long ago. Matter of fact, had Connie and I camped out on our land during yellow fly season when we first bought it , I'm not really sure we would be living here right now.

Old 05-06-2019, 12:31 AM   #4
Twolunger
My daughter-in-law gave me one of those bug zappers that look like a badminton racket.
The deer flies were bothering me when I walked the dogs. It does the trick and I even used it on hornets. Works some of the time on mosquitos.

Old 05-06-2019, 11:27 AM   #5
Rich Z
A while back I thought of mounting bug zappers on the buildings, but Connie vetoed that idea, worried that "her" lizards would get into them and get killed.

Old 05-10-2019, 01:27 AM   #6
MaryGriffith
Snakes also need protection from pests and yellow flies. My friend also had so many yellow flies around his garden and not even that there were various types of bugs in his house. So, he went for professionals help for Pest Control CT and got rids of all the unwanted pests.

Old 05-17-2019, 08:08 PM   #7
Rich Z
Well, who would ever have thought such a cheap device would provide so much fun, entertainment, and satisfaction?

https://www.lowes.com/pd/BLACK-FLAG-...per/1000687658

Just bought one today on a whim while Connie and I were in Lowe's, so later this evening when we were going to take a walk around, and feeling pretty apprehensive about the yellow flies, I put the two AA batteries in it figuring maybe it would kill one or two yellow flies. Well, let me tell you, it killed a LOT of them as they were flying around us. I was just swinging it randomly over our heads while holding down the button, and frequently heard the satisfying ZZZAPP! as a yellow fly contacted the electrified grid. Connie wanted to try her hand at it, and she was zapping them right and left as they came in trying to sink their teeth into us. Honestly, never seen that kind of "killer" look on her face before, as she was thoroughly enjoying the carnage.

I think I'm going to have to buy a few more of these bad boys. They proved to be quite a bit more effective than I had expected them to be. Especially for only $9.00.

Now if I can just figure out how to make one in the shape of full body armor.....

Old 05-17-2019, 11:46 PM   #8
Twolunger
That's similar to the one I take on my daily walk with the dog. It even gets most of the mosquitos. Deer flies are easy to hit as they usually buzz around your head. I have used mine on spiders too.

Old 05-18-2019, 12:11 AM   #9
Rich Z
Heck, I've seen them before, but never gave them much thought. I always figured that if I could hit the fly or mosquito with something while it was airborne, what the heck did I need it to be electrified for? The swat itself would kill it. I didn't realize how satisfying the ZAP! is when it alerts you to a confirmed kill. Especially when you hear multiple ZAPS in succession confirming multiple kills.

I've had a fixed zapper in the past, but didn't care for it too much as there was too much collateral damage with them. I figured all it would take is for Connie to find a dead lizard underneath of it and it would be history around here anyway.

I'm just hoping this new toy doesn't zap a dragonfly or that will be all she wrote too. We like them flying around here.

Old 05-18-2019, 08:25 AM   #10
Twolunger
I saw them at stores but figured they were another gimmick. My daughter-in-law got 4 of them to test from the company that makes them and all she had to do was write a review on them. I've used mine to swat mosquitoes with dragon fly's flying around, but they never got close to the device. My stationary zapper only killed moths and was a waste of time.

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! Cornsnakes.com is the largest online community dedicated to cornsnakes . Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!

Google