CornSnakes.com Forums  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLinks ads? Register and log in!

Go Back   CornSnakes.com Forums > The CornSnake Forums > Husbandry and Basic Care
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

Husbandry and Basic Care General stuff about keeping and maintaining cornsnakes in captivity.

Clifford's Care

Old 05-17-2017, 11:35 AM   #1
Rubyredslithers
Clifford's Care

Clifford the Little Red Snake. We got him from someone going off to college and couldn't keep him.
We've gotten him all set up at home.
A couple of questions:
He had his first pinkie Sunday night with us. Pinkies are obviouslying too small. The college student said she gave him a fuzzy once but he regurgitated it. I'm scared to try a fuzzy. The look so big compared to him.
Anyone have a guess on age? Past owner said under 6 months, one friend says 12 months. I'm just curious.
What does everyone use to measure humidity?
TIA
Kat

Old 05-17-2017, 01:19 PM   #2
DollysMom
It's a little difficult to tell size without a weight. Fuzzies are usually around 3 to 6 grams but that varies as well. From what I can see Clifford can probably eat fuzzies, but to know for sure we need his weight in grams.

Prey size is only one factor in regurgitation. Make sure your temps are correct. That is paramount. Also do not handle your snake after feeding except to gently place him back home if you feed outside the enclosure.

I use an analog ExoTerra hygrometer hot glued to the inside back of the tank. They are accurate enough but some prefer digital. I do compare them to my good weather station hygrometer and to each other for accuracy.

No way to tell the age without the hatch date.

He's really sweet looking. Congrats!

Old 05-17-2017, 05:31 PM   #3
Karl_Mcknight
I agree with the above. You don't have to spend a lot of money on taking humidity readings. If you watch your local weather, the humidity in your house will be within a few percent what it is outside.

For years I never even took humidity readings with Boas and the King Snake. This Corn snake I currently have is the first snake I've ever had a cheap Hygrometer stuck to the inside of the tank. It works well, and I still don't think I need it but what the hell.

Get yourself a digital Kitchen Scale. You can find them at Walmart, Target, almost any store that sells Kitchen wares. Most of them weigh in both ounces and grams, and that's what you want. I got mine at Target and I think I paid about 30 bucks for it.

I use it to weigh both the snake and the mice.

Your snake is obviously young and small, and we can't really tell by your picture. If you weigh the snake you'll know for sure.

Feed mice that weigh about 10% to 13% of your snake's weight. If your snake weighs for example, 40 grams, then you'd want to offer a meal around 4.5 grams. This could be 2 pinkies totaling that amount or 1 small fuzzy. If you snake weighs 100 grams, then you'd offer a mouse in the 12 gram range...etc.....

If the snake regurgitated after eating a fuzzy, it could be that the food item was too big. Too big an item can cause regurgitation. You stated that had already happened, but was that last week or 6 months ago? If it was a while ago, the snake could be big enough now to eat a fuzzy. It looks big enough to me for fuzzies, but I'm going to recommend you weigh the snake to be sure.

Besides a food item being too big, there are other things that can cause regurgitation. Rough handling after feeding, and Incorrect temperatures. Also intestinal diseases or blockages but if that was the case you'd already know by now.

Old 05-17-2017, 09:27 PM   #4
Twolunger
If the past owner said under 6 months Clifford is making good growth, especially if he is only eating one pinkie. I would guess he is about 18 inches long, judging by the pics. On his limited diet of one pinkie I would say he's a bit older than 6 months, unless the pinkies are fed every few days. Forget about humidity, the only time it is important for a corn snake is when it's shedding. At that time mine climb in their water dish, but I do mist their container anyway. Are Clifford's eyes appearing white or cloudy due to a flash or were his eyes opaque just prior to a shed? I hope it's not due to his eye caps not shedding off.

Old 05-18-2017, 10:37 AM   #5
Rubyredslithers
His eyes are from the flash.
The girl was feeding him 1 Pinky twice a week.
I will get a scale and weigh him. I've only read about size of snake around for feeding, not weight, so I will follow that rule as well.
I don't know when he regurgitated. I had only thought to ask if he'd eaten since then, she said he had, several times.
I just want to be sure we do right by him and keep him happy and healthy.
Thank you

Old 05-18-2017, 11:01 AM   #6
DollysMom
Just FYI, the around rule is fine. It's basically that we can't accurately judge his size from pictures and without seeing his prey size as well... well weights are easier when we can't see in person. Sounds like you are making a great start with Clifford.

Most of us take weights and keep written feeding and weight record. It's something that you may find helpful. It's surprising how fast you forget even when you only have one snake. Add another and it's nearly impossible to remember without written records.

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! Cornsnakes.com is the largest online community dedicated to cornsnakes . Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!

Google