CornSnakes.com Forums  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLinks ads? Register and log in!

Go Back   CornSnakes.com Forums > The CornSnake Forums > General Chit-Chat Forum
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

General Chit-Chat Forum Discussion about general topics that are really off topic concerning corn snakes, or just about any old chit at all.

Craigslist does it again

Old 08-19-2010, 10:12 AM   #1
harm781
Craigslist does it again

Two different snake species in one small tank.
http://knoxville.craigslist.org/pet/1904594617.html

Old 08-19-2010, 11:31 AM   #2
Cattsy
I actually know someone that has a pair like that...

THey have a red tailed boa and a ball python, both are HUGE. My friend does a rescue and these guys were surrendered to her. They've lived together their whole lives and are around 8-10 years old... Cool Snakes too, both really mellow old guys lol.

Now, that's not a defense, and a ten gallon tank is defenitely too small :s I wouldn't recommend anyone do it but it does seem to work from time to time. *shrugs*

Old 08-19-2010, 11:50 AM   #3
Susan
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cattsy View Post
I actually know someone that has a pair like that...

THey have a red tailed boa and a ball python, both are HUGE. My friend does a rescue and these guys were surrendered to her. They've lived together their whole lives and are around 8-10 years old... Cool Snakes too, both really mellow old guys lol.

Now, that's not a defense, and a ten gallon tank is defenitely too small :s I wouldn't recommend anyone do it but it does seem to work from time to time. *shrugs*
And there are many members on this forum alone that used to say the same thing...cohabbing works for me...until something happens and they see the reality that everyone else has been touting all along.

Old 08-19-2010, 11:58 AM   #4
Cattsy
Oh I tend to agree with you Susan... I'm certainly not defending it, I was just thinking about those guys the other day and they're pretty cool Some of the mellowest snakes I've met.

Old 08-19-2010, 12:33 PM   #5
Reptileman81
Its small pet stores fault alot of times. I have seen it in quite a few mom and pop dog and cat shops trying to have a couple of snakes. They will keep boas and pythons together all the time. I have even seen some pet store keep a king with a corn. I could not figure out why the king was not eating the corn.

But because the pet store does it the customer thinks it is ok.

Old 08-19-2010, 01:13 PM   #6
cobained
I was at the St Louis zoo a few weeks ago and was suprised to see some of their "mixed species" exhibits. They had a rattlesnake (I think! they were closing and I only got a quick look) in an exhibit with a corn and a turtle of some sort. Of course these are fairly large/naturalistic enclosures and species that are found in the same range, but still thought it was interesting. Not at ALL saying anyone should do this in an aquarium or what not, but this just made me remember that.

Old 08-19-2010, 01:26 PM   #7
Darcpixie
The only instance I have seen of cohabbing that made any sense that was posted here was someone who posted about her itty bitty blindsnake colony.

As they eat roly poly bugs and you have to get a colony of those going to feed the blindsnakes, it made sense to house multiples in a big ol' thriving roly poly colony.

For easier to keep snakes like corns, balls, rtb's, there is a risk that just plain doesn't have to be there, so why do it?

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! Cornsnakes.com is the largest online community dedicated to cornsnakes . Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!

Google