CornSnakes.com Forums  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLinks ads? Register and log in!

Go Back   CornSnakes.com Forums > The CornSnake Forums > Health Issues/Feeding Problems
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

Health Issues/Feeding Problems Anything related to general or specific health problems. Issues having to do with feeding problems or tips.

Given the World's Skinniest Cornsnake, & it Won't Eat

Old 07-25-2017, 02:29 PM   #11
Twolunger
I would wait a few days and see if she will take another pinkie without force feeding. She may be stimulated to begin eating now. If she refuses, and you have to resort to force feeding, wait at least 5 days or she may regurgitate the first pinkie along with the 2nd.

Old 08-03-2017, 04:14 PM   #12
Irish Eyes (Mrs.Z)
I waited a week, and then tried giving another pinkie. She wouldn't take it, and actively "ran away" (as much as a snake with no legs can "run" :-) ) from it. I put it down on the floor of the tub, covered the tub, turned out the light, and came back a couple of hours later. Still, the pinky lay exactly where I put it.

So once again, she has been force fed. So far, she's holding it down (2 days after she was fed). Here's hoping she'll start eating on her own, soon. I don't think a pinky a week is going to keep a 4 yr. old, emaciated adult cornsnake alive very long!

Old 08-03-2017, 04:22 PM   #13
DollysMom
Hoping for the best for you and your snake. I know are doing everything humanly possible for her.

Old 08-03-2017, 04:25 PM   #14
Irish Eyes (Mrs.Z)
Quote:
Originally Posted by DollysMom View Post
Hoping for the best for you and your snake. I know are doing everything humanly possible for her.
Thank you for your kind words and wishes. They are truly appreciated :-).

Old 08-03-2017, 08:52 PM   #15
Twolunger
It's unfortunate that our pets don't always realize we are trying to help. At this stage I would probably try force feeding a fuzzy and see if she keeps that down. I'll tell you a trick I used when a female hognose wouldn't eat. I cut 2 inches of tail off a frozen weanling rat, thawed it and tied it to a frozen/thawed hopper mouse with fine thread. I force fed the tail until the snake began swallowing it, and she continued right up to the mouse, which she also ate. After that she ate without a problem. If you try that, make sure you tie the rat tail securely to the hopper's legs and tail. The snake may try to dislodge the hopper.

Old 08-28-2017, 01:01 AM   #16
DLena
Is your too-little girl doing any better?

Old 08-28-2017, 01:10 AM   #17
Irish Eyes (Mrs.Z)
Thanks for asking about her. Unfortunately, she didn't make it. I force fed 5 meals, but she never gained any weight. Pinkies simply weren't enough food for a snake of her size, and she was never, ever willing to eat on her own. It made me very sad :-(.

Old 08-28-2017, 01:19 AM   #18
DLena
I'm so sorry to hear that. I just found this thread and hoped it worked out for both of you. Thank you for trying so hard.

Old 08-28-2017, 12:50 PM   #19
Twolunger
Unfortunately our snakes can die despite all our efforts. Don't be sad, you tried your best to bring her around. I lost a nice male and the veterinarian could find nothing wrong with him. X-rays, fecal samples, flushes, swabs, and forced feedings and he still died. Every living thing on earth is here temporarily, including us.

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! Cornsnakes.com is the largest online community dedicated to cornsnakes . Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!

Google